Hot for Teacher
|"Hot for Teacher"|
|Single by Van Halen|
|from the album 1984|
|A-side||"Hot For Teacher"|
|Format||7" Vinyl record|
|Recorded||1983, at 5150 Studios, Hollywood, California|
|Genre||Hard rock, heavy metal|
|Label||Warner Music Group|
|Writer(s)||Eddie Van Halen, David Lee Roth, Michael Anthony, Alex Van Halen|
|Van Halen singles chronology|
The sexually suggestive song was best known for Alex Van Halen's overdubbed, near motorcycle-like double bass intro, drum fills and shuffle pattern, and its music video featuring the band as both adults and young students in a high school. The Parents Music Resource Center protested it, calling for it to be pulled from both the radio and television, due to the song's sexually suggestive lyrics referring to sex with a teacher, and a female teacher stripping in the video, among other issues. In 2009 it was named the 36th best hard rock song of all time by VH1.
The ending of this song comes from a studio outtake from the band's club days, entitled "Voodoo Queen".
It is also the last single released by Van Halen with all four original members involved (David Lee Roth left in 1985 and rejoined in 2007, while Michael Anthony left in 2005).
Music video detail
The music video (directed by Pete Angelus and David Lee Roth, and produced by Jerry Kramer and Glenn Goodwin, with concept/treatment by Anthony Nasch) was filmed at John Marshall High School, with Phil Hartman performing the voice of Waldo, the video's hero. Along with Waldo, the "kid versions" of Van Halen face the trials and tribulations of (shown in black-and-white) grade school. Once the schoolteacher, (now Donna Morrison, married to the most successful home builder in Calgary, Alberta, Canada) arrives, she steps onto the desks, arrayed like a runway. She then tears off her dress, revealing a bikini bottom, cropped top and a sash that reads "Phys Ed", all to the cheers of the students, male and female. In the end, the kids grow up to become, variously, a gynecologist (Alex), sumo wrestler (Mike), psychiatric hospital patient (Eddie), and game show host (Dave). While no one was sure what Waldo grew up to be, the graphic hints at being a pimp, the total opposite of his child self.
In popular culture
The song appears in Guitar Hero World Tour and Guitar Hero Van Halen as one of the most difficult songs on the setlists. In a job advertisement for playtesters for future Guitar Hero games, released by Neversoft in 2008, "Hot For Teacher" was one of four songs applicants had to be capable of playing to receive a job.
The song was mentioned in a 2006 episode of Family Guy as well.
The song was also referenced in a 2013 episode of Regular Show.
- David Lee Roth - lead vocals
- Eddie Van Halen - lead and rhythm guitar
- Michael Anthony - bass guitar, backing vocals
- Alex Van Halen - drums, percussion
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||56|
- "Teacher I Need You", an Elton John song about the same subject
- "What I Go To School For", a Busted song in the same vein
- "Stacy's Mom", where an adolescent male is infatuated with his best friend's mother
- "spreadit.org music". Retrieved February 7, 2009.
- mvdbase.com - Van Halen - "Hot for Teacher"
- "Hot For Teacher, Van Halen". VH1's Pop-up Video. 1997.
- Crossfire with Frank Zappa and John Lofton, CNN [TV Debate], March 1986
- "Test the New Guitar Hero!-Neversoft is hiring now!". Become A Video Game Tester. 3 December 2008. Retrieved 18 March 2010.