Hot in Herre
|"Hot in Herre"|
|Single by Nelly|
|from the album Nellyville|
|Released||April 16, 2002|
|Genre||Hip hop, funk|
|Label||Universal, Fo'Reel, The Inc.|
|Nelly singles chronology|
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
"Hot in Herre" is a song by American rapper Nelly from his second studio album Nellyville (2002). The song features additional vocals by former labelmate Dani Stevenson. It was released on April 16, 2002, by Universal Records as the second single from the project. The song was produced by The Neptunes.
"Hot in Herre" incorporates the hook from go-go performer Chuck Brown's 1979 single "Bustin' Loose", and opens with samples from Neil Young's "There's a World" and Nancy Sinatra's cover of "As Tears Go By".
Awards and accolades
In 2008, it was ranked number 36 on VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of Hip Hop.
The song was Nelly's first number one hit on the Billboard Hot 100 and in Canada. It peaked at number four in the United Kingdom, and also hit the top ten in other international markets. The song was number one in the Billboard Year-End Hot 100 Singles Chart for 2002.
There were two music videos made for the single "Hot in Herre", one set in a dance club, and an alternative one shot at the St. Louis Arch. The alternative video was played on MTV Europe instead of the official one.
"Hot in Herre" has been covered by the following artists:
- Canadian electronic artist Tiga, who remade "Hot in Herre" with Scissor Sisters lead singer Jake Shears on vocals, giving it a more monotone, electro feel (this reached #46 in the UK). A music video was created for Tiga's version of the song which aired in heavy rotation. The video starred puppets depicting cliche scenes from hip hop videos of the era.
- Widespread Panic, whose cover was included on their covers album Jackassolantern and was featured on an episode of The O.C.
- Jenny Owen Youngs, whose version also had an accompanying video
- The BossHoss
- In the live version of "Jocko Homo" on Devo's album DEVOlution is Real: Live in Central Park, Mark Mothersbaugh briefly sings the chorus of "Hot in Herre" before the song's "O-HI-O" breakdown.
- Jill Sobule covered the song acoustically at a live performance in Seattle with Melissa Ferrick.
- Wang Chung performed the song on the television show Hit Me, Baby, One More Time.
- The song was parodied as "Trash Day" by "Weird Al" Yankovic on the album Poodle Hat, replacing the chorus with "There's somethin' rotten here, you better hold your nose," and also by Mad TV in a sketch satirizing the controversy surrounding the Catholic Church and young boys.
Usage in media
- "Hot in Herre" was mentioned in the Big and Rich song "Caught Up in the Moment" with the lyrics "It's like Nelly said, it's getting hot in here".
- It is mentioned in Invasion of the Boy Snatchers, a clique novel by Lisi Harrison.
- "Hot in Herre" was a popular dance and sporting event favorite, and Ray Lewis of the Baltimore Ravens used the song as part of his home-field entrance. World Wrestling Entertainment Diva Alicia Fox's theme song uses an instrumental which sounds heavily inspired by the song.
- A sample of "Hot in Herre" was used in the later seasons of Montel Williams' self-titled chat show. In the movie Agent Cody Banks, they use the song to introduce the sexy Ronica Miles. In the HBO mini-series Generation Kill, two marines sing it in the episode 3: "Screwby". They however change the lyrics and are instead singing about shooting insurgents.
- "Hot in Herre" was briefly used in the Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide episode "Survival Guide to: The First Day" in which Cookie begins getting hot in his puffy red coat, even though he still refuses to take it off.
- Chris Rock references "Hot in Herre" during a dance party in the film Head of State, even singing a few bars of the chorus with some of the elderly ladies in the scene.
- King Julien performed the song in Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted.
- "Hot in Herre" was comically sung by a jester in a Pepsi commercial featuring Melanie Amaro, Elton John, and Flavor Flav that aired during Super Bowl XLVI on NBC.
- "Hot in Herre" instrumental featured as the theme song of a fictional dance show "Crank" in the series finale of ABC's Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23.
- The cast of Glee performed the song as a mash up with The J. Geils Band's "Centerfold" for the 2013 episode "Naked".
- "Hot in Herre" is featured in DJ Hero 2, mixed with "Regulate" by Warren G, featuring Nate Dogg.
- "Hot in Herre" appears as DLC in Dance Central 2.
- "Hot in Herre" also appears in The Hip Hop Dance Experience.
- "Hot in Herre" is performed by Keri Russell's character in "Austenland (film)".
- "Hot in Herre" is used by Snapple in an ad that changes the chorus lyric to "so take your caps off".
Sasha Grey/KVVF stunt
Actress Sasha Grey first publicly announced the 72 hour event of looping Nelly's Hot in Herre as part of a marketing stunt on her birthday, March 14, 2014 at 5:04 PM PST. As part of the South by Southwest film festival she originally claimed she would do this “because the song is #hot, just like my new movie Open Windows and my best-selling book, The Juliette Society.”
When Sasha publicly announced what she was doing, she used #LatinoMix1057 as a reference to the bay area station KVVF, San Jose, California, #HotInHerre as the conversation, and #happybdayme to reference her birthday. Soon after Sasha's public announcement, Chuy Gomez, the current DJ of the new radio station on 105.7 at KVVF, retweeted her takeover announcement.
The stunt lasted precisely 72 hours from the time of her publicly announced takeover. On March 17, 2014, KVVF returned to the air with Chuy Gomez and DJ Mind Motion.
Since the stunt began, several people laid unsubstantiated claims surrounding it. Word of mouth at the South by Southwest film festival surrounding the Nacho Vigalondo movie Open Windows starring Sasha Grey, Elijah Wood and Neil Maskell blew up after the song began to loop. Sasha's promotional takeover of the station was huge at the festival because everyone had already heard about it, but only thought it was a rumor until it actually went down. This includes David Guy Levy, head of film company Periscope Entertainment and the director of the intense horror thriller Would You Rather, also starring Sasha Grey.
Several bloggers and news outlets spread misinformation regarding the event, creating even more mystery surrounding the its origins. The misconceptions and incorrect information spread by news outlets included unfounded claims on who decided to loop the song, what was actually happening with the radio station, who first announced it, that nothing was unique with what was happening and amongst other conjecture, where and why the meme took off.
While Sasha intended the conversation to follow #HotInHerre, the hashtag #Nelly1057 garnered national interest as well. Nelly1057.com currently redirects to Sasha Grey's Twitter page.
Comedian Yoshi Obayashi got in on the act and called Sasha out when he said Sasha “#forgot2hash #sashacastnelly1057 but she's still #incontrol of #LatinoMix1057 #openwindows #noworries #Nelly1057 #sxsw.” This is a clear comedic poke at Sasha, given the attention #Nelly1057 received vs. the preexisting #HotInHerre, and the accompanying confusion, popularity and resulted meme it helped propagate.
These are the major formats and track listings for the release of "Hot in Herre":
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||Platinum||15,000*|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,000,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Jenny Owen Youngs "Hot In Herre"". YouTube. 2007-09-26. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- "Twitter / SashaGrey: #TheJulietteSociety so #HOT". Twitter. Retrieved 2014-03-14.
- "Twitter / davidguylevy: @SashaGrey took over the Bay". Twitter. 2014-07-06. Retrieved 2014-03-14.
- "Bay Area Latino radio station 105.7 won’t stop playing Nelly’s ‘Hot in Herre’ - SFGate Blog". radioinsight. 2014-03-15. Retrieved 2014-07-06.
- "RadioInsight — How #Nelly1057 Became A Viral Sensation". radioinsight. 2014-03-16. Retrieved 2014-07-06.
- "Latin Radio Station Playing Nelly's Hot In Herre Non-Stop". uproxx. 2014-03-15. Retrieved 2014-07-06.
- accessdate July 6, 2014
- "Twitter / YoshiObayashi: Go @SashaGrey go! #forgot2hash". radioinsight. Retrieved 2014-07-06.
- "Discogs". Discogs. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- "Australian-charts.com – Nelly – Hot in Herre". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Nelly – Hot in Herre" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Nelly – Hot in Herre" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Nelly – Hot in Herre" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Nelly Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Nelly.
- "Danishcharts.com – Nelly – Hot in Herre". Tracklisten.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Nelly – Hot in Herre" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Lescharts.com – Nelly – Hot in Herre" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Chartverfulgong > Nelly > Hot in Herre – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- Irish Singles Chart Irishcharts.ie (Retrieved April 10, 2008)
- "Italiancharts.com – Nelly – Hot in Herre". Top Digital Download.
- "Charts.org.nz – Nelly – Hot in Herre". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Nelly – Hot in Herre". VG-lista.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Nelly – Hot in Herre". Singles Top 60.
- "Swisscharts.com – Nelly – Hot in Herre". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Nelly: Artist Chart History" UK Singles Chart.
- "Nelly Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Nelly.
- "Nelly Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Nelly.
- "Nelly Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Nelly.
- "Nelly Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Rap Songs for Nelly.
- 2002 Australian Singles Chart aria.com (Retrieved August 8, 2008)
- 2002 Belgian (Flanders) Singles Chart Ultratop.be (Retrieved August 8, 2008)
- 2002 Belgian (Wallonia) Singles Chart Ultratop.be (Retrieved August 8, 2008)
- "Single top 100 over 2002" (PDF) (in Dutch). Top40. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- 2002 Swiss Singles Chart Hitparade.ch (Retrieved August 8, 2008)
- 2002 UK Singles Chart ChartsPlus (Retrieved August 8, 2008)
- "The Billboard Hot 100 Singles & Tracks - Decade Year End Charts". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved April 18, 2011.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2002 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- THE FIELD id (chart number) MUST BE PROVIDED for NEW ZEALAND CERTIFICATION.
- "American single certifications – Nelly – Hot in Herre". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved June 10, 2014. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH