Hotel Jørgensen explosion
|Hotel Jørgensen bombing|
|Date||Friday 10 September 2010.
1:23 pm – 1:23 pm (UTC+1)
|Perpetrator||Chechnyan-Belgian Lors Doukaiev|
The explosion in Hotel Jørgensen was a minor explosion inside of the discount hostel of the same name in central Copenhagen, Denmark. The explosion happened at 1:23 pm on 10 September 2010. No fatalities were recorded. The only injured person was the one-legged Chechnyan-Belgian bomber Lors Doukaiev, who was caught in a nearby park, Ørstedsparken, following the explosion, but only identified several days later.
Considering that the bomber bought a bus ticket to Belgium with departure from Denmark on 10 September, and he was seen at a post office buying a small box used for mailing CDs, as well as a roll of tape, it is believed that it was not meant to be a suicide attack against the hostel, but rather an accident while making a letter bomb, which happened as a consequence of Doukaiev's use of a highly volatile explosive substance. TATP, which was the chemical used, is notorious for its volatility.
The Danish police revealed a hypothesis regarding the purpose of the bomb. According to the police hypothesis, Lors Doukaiev constructed a letter bomb, which was meant to explode upon opening, using TATP as an explosive and filling the container with small metal projectiles. The bomb would have the same effect as a fragmentation grenade. It is speculated, that Jyllands-Posten in Århus would have been the target of said letter bomb.
Lors Doukaiev claims innocence on the charges of terrorism.
- Vibeke Rask Grøn (15 September 2010). "Belgisk Avis: Bombemanden har belgisk statsborgerskab". DR (in Danish). Retrieved 20 September 2010.
- "Lors Doukaev bekræfter sin identitet". Ritzau (in Danish). DR. 20 September 2010. Retrieved 21 September 2010.
- "Danish Police appeal for help with Identifying hotel bomber". Euro Weekly News. 14 September 2010. Retrieved 21 September 2010.
- Thomas Nørmark Krog (15 September 2010). "Han hedder Lors Doukaiev" [His name is Lors Doukaiev]. B.T. (in Danish). Retrieved 15 September 2010.
- Signe Fuglsang Midtgaard (12 September 2010). "Det ved vi om bombemandens færden". DR (in Danish). Retrieved 21 September 2010.
- Helle Harbo Sørensen & Trine Fisker (17 September 2010). "TATP-bombe skulle sendes til Århus". TV2 (in Danish). Retrieved 20 September 2010.