Hotel Lafayette, June 2009
|Location||391 Washington St., Buffalo, New York|
|Area||0.86 acres (0.35 ha)|
|Architect||Bethune, Bethune & Fuchs (1902-1912); Esenwein and Johnson (1913-1937); and Roswell E. Pfohl / Design Inc. (1942 lobby)|
|Architectural style||French Renaissance|
|NRHP Reference #||10000555|
|Added to NRHP||August 19, 2010|
Hotel Lafayette, also known as the Lafayette Hotel, is a historic hotel building located at Buffalo in Erie County, New York. It is a seven story steel frame and concrete building designed in the French Renaissance style. It is composed of several rectangular building units completed between 1902 and 1926. It features decorative vitreous red brick and white terra cotta trim. The original building was designed by the firm of Bethune, Bethune & Fuchs, including noted architect Louise Blanchard Bethune (1856–1913), and built between 1902 and 1911. Additions from 1916–1917 and 1924-1926 were completed by Esenwein and Johnson. The lobby was decorated in 1942 in the Art Moderne style. In its prime, the Lafayette Hotel was considered one of the 15 finest hotels in the country. Besides elevators, every room featured hot and cold water and a telephone. A 97 m (318 ft) antenna is attached to the building.
In 2012 the completion of a $35 million rehabilitation project restored the hotel to its original beauty. The hotel now contains 115 one & two bedroom apartments, 34 hotel rooms, several bars, restaurants and banquet facilities. The renovation was conducted by experienced Buffalo property developer, Rocco Termini, along with architect Jonathan Morris and his team at Carmina Wood Morris PC.
- "National Register of Historic Places". WEEKLY LIST OF ACTIONS TAKEN ON PROPERTIES: 8/16/10 THROUGH 8/20/10. National Park Service. 2010-08-27.
- Martin Wachadlo, Frank Kowsky, and Daniel McEneny (June 2010). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Hotel Lafayette". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2010-09-05. See also: "Accompanying 14 photos".
- http://www.city-data.com/towers/cell-Buffalo-New-York.html. http://www.city-data.com, accessed April 16, 2011.
- Hotel Lafayette Shines. www.buffalorising.com, accessed November 24, 2010.
- Work to start this month on Hotel Lafayette makeover. www.buffalonews.com, accessed August 31, 2010.
The Hotel's restoration was executed by the creative team at Carmina Wood Morris PC: Architecture, Engineering and Interior Design
- Official Hotel Lafayette website
- Buffalo as an Architectural Museum: Hotel Lafayette
- Skyscraperpage building page
- Emporis building page
- Carmina Wood Morris PC: Architecture, Engineering & Interior Design