Type 022 missile boat
|Builders:||Hudong-Zhonghua Shipbuilding, Shanghai|
|Operators:||People's Liberation Army Navy|
|Preceded by:||Type 037-II-class missile boat & C 14-class missile boat|
|Cost:||Estimates vary from $14.3 million to $50 million|
|Displacement:||220 long tons (224 t) full load|
|Length:||42.6 m (139 ft 9 in)|
|Beam:||12.2 m (40 ft 0 in)|
|Draught:||1.5 m (4 ft 11 in)|
|Propulsion:||2 diesel engines @ 6,865 hp (5,119 kW) with 4 waterjet propulsors by MARI|
|Speed:||36 knots (67 km/h; 41 mph)|
|Surface search radar: 1 Type 362
Navigational radar: 1
Electro-optics: HEOS 300
|Armament:||• Anti-ship missiles: 8 C-801/802/803 in friction stir welded aluminium missile launch containers or
• Land-attack missiles: 8 Hongniao missile-2 long range land attack cruise missiles.
• Surface-to-air missiles: FLS-1 surface-to-air launcher with 12 QW class MANPAD missiles
• 1 × licensed copy of KBP AO-18 6-barrel 30 mm gun (AK-630) by ZEERI
|Notes:||Details remain speculative|
The Type 022 (NATO designation: Houbei class) missile boat is a ship class in the Chinese People's Liberation Army Navy. The first boat was launched in April 2004 by the Hudong-Zhonghua Shipyard at Shanghai. The boats incorporate stealth features and are based on an Australian-designed wave-piercing catamaran hulls that are more stable than other fast missile craft in high sea conditions. Approximately 83 of these missile boats are currently in service with three flotillas having been produced over a span of seven years.
The Houbei class fast attack craft are China's entry into a growing list of missile-armed attack craft which include Finland's Hamina class missile boat, and Norway's Skjold class patrol boat. The Australian AMD cataraman design may mean as much as a 50% reduction in vessel speed penalty in high sea conditions (in which monohulls may only perform at half or less of their maximum capability). Further, seasickness and disorientation is significantly reduced, improving the combat readiness/situational awareness of the small-craft operators during such conditions.
In addition to the stealthy polygonal-designed superstructure with its stealthy gun mount, the Houbei has an advanced C4 datalink that may represent some kind of capability to allow AWACS planes or other ships to vector the Type 22's missiles.
The Type 022 is designed to patrol China's coastal zones out to close neighboring island countries. Each of the 83 ships is armed with eight anti-ship missiles, so large numbers of missile craft firing in salvos can potentially overwhelm an enemy fleet, including an aircraft carrier battle group. Historically however, small missile boats have fared poorly in major naval confrontations against submarines and aircraft. Even though China is increasing its aircraft capabilities and surface-to-air missile defenses, the Type 022 would still be vulnerable to attack by submarines because of China's limited anti-submarine capabilities.
- Skjold class patrol boat
- Hamina class missile boat
- Roussen Class fast attack craft
- Type 021 class missile boat
- Axe, David (August 4, 2011). "China Builds Fleet of Small Warships While U.S. Drifts". Wired.com. Retrieved 2012-02-04.
- "China’s Project 022 Fast Attack Craft". defencetalk.com.
- "Information Dissemination: Janes Discusses Chinese Streetfighter". informationdissemination.net.
- Catamarans Glide Through Chinese Waters
- Fred Delany, Stephan W Kallee, Mike J Russell: Friction Stir Welding of Aluminium Ships, Paper presented at 2007 International Forum on Welding Technologies in the Shipping Industry (IFWT). Held in conjunction with the Beijing Essen Welding and Cutting Fair in Shanghai, 16–19 June 2007.
- "China’s Houbei class fast-speed missile boats". China Daily Mail.
- China Builds Fleet of Small Warships While U.S. Drifts - Wired.com, 4 August 2011
- Watts, Anthony J. Jane's Warship Recognition Guide. ISBN 978-0-06-084992-4
- Houbei Class (Type 022) Fast Attack Craft
- IDEX 2007 Showcases China’s Productive Weapons Sector
- 武汉华之洋光电系统有限责任公司/Wuhan Naval Electro-Optics Company
- AMD Marine Consulting AMD350PB Design
|This article related to the military of China is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|