House Party 2
|House Party 2|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Doug McHenry
|Produced by||Doug McHenry
|Written by||Daryl G. Nickens
Based on Characters Created by
Christopher "Play" Martin
|Music by||Vassal Benford|
|Edited by||Joel Goodman|
|Distributed by||New Line Cinema|
|Running time||94 minutes|
House Party 2, the sequel to the 1990 film House Party, was released in October 1991 by New Line Cinema, and returns most of the cast of the first film along with new cast members such as Queen Latifah and Iman, and more guest appearances by other famous entertainers, such as Tony! Toni! Toné! and Ralph Tresvant.
House Party 2 basically has the same premise as the first, except it is a pajama party instead of a regular house party. This film was dedicated to the memory of Robin Harris, who played "Pops" in the first film.
After Play gives Kid's college scholarship cheque to a con artist posing as a record executive, Kid is given one week by the Dean to pay his tuition fee or face being kicked out of college. In order to raise the money, Kid, Play, Bilal and Kid's roommate Jamal secretly hold a pyjama themed party for the students in the faculty dining hall. Meanwhile, Kid's former high school rivals Stab, Zilla & Pee Wee take jobs as campus security in order to make Kid's life miserable one more time as Kid tries to balance work and study along with his relationship with Sydney.
- Christopher "Kid" Reid — Christopher Robinson (Kid)
- Christopher "Play" Martin — Peter Martin (Play)
- Martin Lawrence — Bilal
- "Paul Anthony" George (of Full Force) — Stab
- Lucien "Bowlegged Lou" George, Jr. (of Full Force) — Pee-Wee
- Brian "B-Fine" George (of Full Force) — Zilla
- Tisha Campbell — Sidney
- Kamron (of Young Black Teenagers) — Jamal
- Iman — Sheila Landreaux
- Queen Latifah — Zora
- Georg Stanford Brown — Prof. Sinclair
- Louie Louie — Rick
- Helen Martin — Mrs. Deevers
- William Schallert — Dean Kramer
- Tony Burton — Mr. Lee
- Christopher Judge — Miles
- Angela Nicholson - Salena
- Christopher Michael — Cop #1
- Barry Diamond — Cop #2
- Whoopi Goldberg — The Professor (uncredited) (cameo)
- Ralph Tresvant (Special Guest Appearance)
- Tony! Toni! Toné! (Special Guest Appearance)
- Gene "Groove" Allen — Groove (cameo)
- Daryl "Chill" Mitchell — Chill (cameo)
- Robin Harris — Pop (uncredited) (archive footage)
A soundtrack containing hip hop and R&B music was released on October 15, 1991 by MCA Records. It peaked at 55 on the Billboard 200 and 23 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums, becoming the most successful of the House Party soundtracks.
The film received mostly negative reviews, mainly due to the raunchy content and straying away from the tone of the original. Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a score of 21% based on reviews from 14 critics.
The movie debuted at No.1 at the box office.
- "House Party 2". Box Office Mojo. IMDB.
- Tim Harms (1991-11-01). "House Party 2 Flies Just As High". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2010-11-12.
- "House Party 2". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2013-05-29.
- Fox, David J. (1991-10-29). "Weekend Box Office `House Party 2' Takes Top Spot". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2010-11-12.