House Rabbit Society
The House Rabbit Society (HRS) is a non-profit activist organization based in Richmond, California, United States (US), that rescues and adopts rabbits and educates the community with its curriculum on rabbit care. HRS promotes responsible rabbit ownership, including the spaying and neutering of all pet rabbits, proper veterinary care, diet, and exercise. HRS takes the stand that domestic rabbits should not live outdoors. ]. HRS was founded in 1988.
The House Rabbit Society believes that all rabbits are valuable animals, regardless of breed purity, temperament, state of health, or whether a relationship exists with humans—the welfare of all rabbits, domestic and wild, is the organization's primary consideration. The Society believes that all domestic rabbits should be spayed or neutered and should live in a human adult's home.
Adoption and education center
In the San Francisco Bay Area of the US, HRS runs an adoption and education center, the HRS Rabbit Center—also the location of the HRS home office. Prior to the existence of the HRS Rabbit Center, the daily work of the national organization was undertaken in various private homes throughout the country.
HRS has a campaign against Heifer International, a non-profit charity that assists starving humans by giving families in third world nations a trio of rabbits, as a sustainable source of protein, to bring themselves out of starvation. Although the charity has been endorsed by US presidents  and celebrities, such as Oprah Winfrey and Bono, for its work in Africa, The HRS Executive Director advocates against eating meat by society members.
- Activist Corner. "Opinion Activiist Page". House Rabbit Society. Retrieved 4/10/2012.
- Lucky kicks back at bunny shelter, Steve Rubenstein, San Francisco Chronicle, 31-07-2011, access date 27-12-2011
- "House Rabbit Society Philosophy". Retrieved 9/6/2011. "It is in the best interest of domestic rabbits to be neutered/spayed, to live in human housing"
- "HRS Activist Corner". Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "Passing on the Gift". Heifer International. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- William P. Barrett (8). "Genuinely Needy". Forbes.com. Forbes. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "The Clinton Foundation in Haiti". Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- "Celebrity Supporters of Heifer International". Retrieved 10 September 2011.
- -New-Job/3 "Bono's New Job". Retrieved 10 September 2011. "Through the organization, you can donate livestock and other items that help families provide for themselves"
- "Why Care About Rabbit Meat?". Retrieved 10 September 2011. "... I think that rabbit lovers-meat eaters and vegetarians alike-should take a stand against rabbit meat."