Michael "HouseShoes" Buchanan is an American hip hop producer and DJ who lives and works in Los Angeles, California. As Detroit's Hip-Hop Ambassador to the World, Buchanan has been an integral part of the long burgeoning Motown resurgence.
His production is on I Miss the Hip Hop Shop by Proof and Witness My Growth by Elzhi. His debut album, the House Shoes Collection contained contributions from Phat Kat, Guilty Simpson and King Gordy. He has also worked as a manager for hip-hop record store Fat Beats.
As a DJ, Buchanan has toured extensively throughout the U.S. and Europe with artists Guilty Simpson, Illa J, Exile, Aloe Blacc, Percee P, Phat Kat, Slum Village and Elzhi, to name a few, as well as on his own. But he has garnered the respect of acts far outside the scope of Detroit hip-hop. Most recently, Buchanan performed as tour DJ on Mayer Hawthorne & The County’s Spring 2010 16-city headlining tour.
As a producer, Buchanan has worked with some of CSDR[disambiguation needed]’s artists and musicians, contributing to the soundtrack that has defined his city. From the late J Dilla and Big Proof, to Black Milk, Danny Brown, Invincible, Finale, Big Tone, Bugz, Marv Won, The Fat Killahz, Now On and those mentioned above.
His House Shoes Recordings has pressed the Jay Dee Unreleased EP (1996), Phat Kat’s Dedication To The Suckers 12” (1999), I Got Next (2CD – 2004), and HouseShoes Loungin’ Volume One-Live at The Buddha (2004). The King James Version Vol. 1 (2008), his tribute to the late James “Jay Dee” aka “J Dilla” Yancey has sold well independently and received rave reviews. Two self-produced 10” limited vinyl issues have also been released this year on Do-Over Records and All-City Records, respectively. Buchanan has moved over 25,000 units of these titles.
- Jay Dee Unreleased, 1997.
- Elzhi - Out Of Focus EP, 1998.
- Phat Kat-Dedication to the Suckers 12", 1999.
- The House Shoes Collection Vol.1 : I Got Next, 2004.
- Loungin' Vol. 1 : Live at the Buddha Lounge, 2005.
- NowOn (feat. Haircut aka Mayer Hawthorne) - Don't Call It A Mixtape, 2008.
- The King James Version: Chapter 1, Verses 1-5, 2009.
- Do-Over Vol. 1: Flying Lotus & House Shoes 10" 2010.
- All-City 4/10: House Shoes & Jordan Rockswell 10" 2010.
- J1's Starship 27 Volume 2(compilation): Castles, 2011
- Quelle/Crown Nation EP, 2011
- Behind Closed Doors 45: Purist, 2012
- The Time EP, 2012
- Let It Go, 2012
- Empire/Locust 45, 2012
- Let It Go Instrumentals, 2012