House of Large Sizes
House of Large Sizes was an alternative rock band from Cedar Falls, Iowa, in the United States. They were made up of Dave Deibler, Barb Schlif and a number of different drummers over the years. They released their first recordings in 1987 and officially broke up December 20, 2003. Deibler and Schlif are married and were the two consistent members of this power trio. Schlif played bass and sang, while Deibler played guitar and was the lead vocalist. Deibler was the band's primary songwriter.
House of Large Sizes, often abbreviated HOLS, played a unique style of rock with a driving beat, lots of rhythmic changes, unexpected rests and false endings. Although their music was unusual it drew on common influences--punk rock, funk and heavy metal. Punk shows itself in the short length of many HOLS songs. The gut-level emotional energy of the music (largely attributable to Deibler's voice and guitar style) and the band's DIY ethic also show their punk roots. Deviating from the DIY standard, HOLS released one album, "My Ass Kicking Life," on Red Decibel/Columbia in 1993. They worked primarily with small labels like WAR (What Are Records?) and Toxic Shock or released recordings on their own.
Funk can be heard in Schlif's bass playing and the throbbing, danceable rhythms of the music. Heavy metal elements are present in Deibler's powerful guitar technique and the short musical phrases the songs are constructed from.
Deibler and Schlif have continued to make and record music together since HOLS disbanded.
The band headlined the Iowa music festival Gross Domestic Product at Vaudville Mews in Des Moines, IA. The show was 4/13 at 11:30 pm.
HOLS also played the 80/35 Music Festival at Gateway Park in Des Moines, IA. The festival was held on the 5th and 6th of July.
A small run of shows to close out the year:
- November 27 - Wooly's - Des Moines, Iowa
- December 7 - Spicoli's Reverb Rock Garden - Waterloo, Iowa
- December 31 - Gabe's Oasis - Iowa City, Iowa
In the summer of 2009, House of Large sizes
- June 26 - The Mill - Iowa City, Iowa
- June 27 - Spicolis - Cedar Falls, Iowa
- July 3 - 80/35 Festival - Des Moines, IA
- July 11 - Silver Dollar Cantina - Dubuque, Iowa
At the end of 2007, House of Large Sizes reunited for a string of live shows:
- Dec 28 - The Picador - Iowa City, Iowa
- Dec 29 - People’s Court Avenue - Des Moines, Iowa
- Dec 30 - Triple Rock Social Club - Minneapolis
- Dec 31 - The Reverb - Cedar Falls, Iowa
- One Big Cake (1989) (Re-released with bonus track in 1997)
- Heat Miser (1990) (Re-released with bonus track in 1997)
- My Ass-Kicking Life (1993)
- Little HOLS on the Prairie (1997)
- Glass Cockpit (1997)
- Not for Sale (1998)
- Idiots Out Wandering Around (2000)
- House of Large Sizes (2002)