Houshang Golmakani is an iranian journalist, film critic and director. He was born in Gorgan on March 23, 1954. Houshang Golmakani started his professional career in 1972 as a journalist and film critic for Tehran Economist. He graduated in cinema and television from the College of Dramatic Arts of Tehran in 1982.
He is one of the three founders of Film (Iranian magazine), the oldest post-revolutionary film magazine in Iran (founded in 1982 with Massoud Mehrabi and Abbas Yari). In 1993, Film (Iranian magazine) began to print an English version of the magazine for its international readers, FILM International, the only English magazine solely about Iranian cinema.
Houshang Golmakani is also a writer and a director. He directed a documentary about the life and works of Mohsen Makhmalbaf, STARDUST-STRICKEN; Mohsen Makhmalbaf: A Portrait (1996). He writes books about cinema and translate screenplays.
Translation of screenplays
- Paris, Texas (1st edition: 1989;2d edition:1997; 3d edition: 2002)
- The White Sheik, Variety Lights (1992)
- La Strada (1995)
- La Notte (1997)
- Cinema Paradiso (1999)
- The Gentleman Actor (1st edition: 1997; 2d edition:2010)
- The Sound of Music (2000)
- Tangna (2007)
Contributions as a Jury
- Member of FIPRESCI jury at the Libzick documentary film festival, 1998
- Member of jury at the Tbilissi film festival, 2007
- Member of NETPAC jury at Antalya film festival, 2007
- Member of jury at Didar film festival, Dushanbe, Tajikistan, 2008
- Member of NETPAC (Network for Promotion of Asian Cinema)
- Member of selection committee for foreign movies, International Fajr festival, Tehran, (1998–2002)
- Honorary award, House of Iranian cinema festival, 2007
- Award of the best art critic, Iranian journalists foundation, 2008
- Award of the most influential critic of the last thirty years in Iran, given by the art critics association of Iran, 2008.
- Film in Iran: The Magazine and the Movies in Niemann Reports, Niemann Foundation for Journalism at Harvard
- Who's who on NETPAC website
- Biography on Makhmalbaf Filmhouse's website