A housing authority or ministry of housing is generally a governmental body that governs some aspect of the territory's housing, often providing low rent or free apartments to qualified residents. The existence of government agencies specifically concerned with ensuring that housing is available to people living in the country is a comparatively modern development, with the first such agencies being established in U.S. cities in the 1930s, the height of the Great Depression.
- Hong Kong Housing Authority
- Ministry of Housing and Local Government (UK, historic)
- United States Department of Housing and Urban Development
- United States Housing Authority (United States, historic)
- Toronto Community Housing Corporation
- Department of Building and Housing (New Zealand), formerly the Ministry of Housing, New Zealand