|Date of birth||9 November 1982|
|Place of birth||Poissy, France|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Playing position||Attacking Midfielder|
|2005–2006||→ Roma (loan)||12||(1)|
|2008||→ Siena (loan)||15||(3)|
|2011||→ Internazionale (loan)||15||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 3 September 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
Houssine Kharja (Arabic: حسين خرجة, born 9 November 1982 in Poissy) is a France born Moroccan footballer who is currently a free agent, having last played for Qatari side Al-Arabi. He is 1.80 m (5 ft 11 in) tall and weighs 75 kilograms (165 lb).
After only one season, he joined Ternana in 2001. He played four impressive Serie B seasons for the Rossoverdi, gaining a place in the Moroccan national team, and being loaned to Roma in 2005, with option to buy him in co-ownership deal for €3.6 million. Kharja played 12 matches and scored one goal during a 1–1 draw against Juventus.
At the end of the 2005–06 season, Roma decided not to extend Kharja's loan, so the Moroccan player returned to Ternana, but he refused this transfer because in the meantime the Rossoverdi had been relegated to Serie C1. Though Ternana considered him as their own player, and Lega Calcio Serie C even suspended him until 26 April 2007. After appeals, FIGC's court decided that Kharja was a free agent, and so, on 20 March 2007 he signed a three-year contract with Serie B team Piacenza. On January 2008, he was loaned to Siena for the second half of the season, with this deal being turned a permanent one on 11 July.
In June 2009, Genoa announced the club was reaching an agreement to sign the player and on 2 July the transfer from Siena was completed. Genoa got Kharja for €6.5 million, while Siena signed the remain 50% registration rights of Manuel Coppola for €1.5M and the full rights of Gianluca Pegolo for €1M.
It was announced on 29 January 2011, that Kharja has joined Internazionale on a loan deal with the option of signing him permanently. He scored his first goal for Internazionale during his second appearance for the club against Bari on 3 February 2011. At the end of his loan spell, Inter decided not to give the player a permanent deal, and so returns to Genoa.
He was involved in an altercation with Al Gharafa player Nenê on 19 March 2013 in a Qatari Stars Cup match. After persistently fouling Nenê for the majority of the match duration, Nenê was sent off in an unrelated incident after a challenge on one of Kharja's teammates. When Nenê attempted to protest the referee's decision, Kharja shoulder-blocked him, preventing him from reaching the referee. Nenê responded by elbowing Kharja in the back of the head. After a delayed reaction, Kharja attacked Nenê, who was then being restrained by teammates. This induced a brawl between the two teams.
Harsh sanctions followed after the match, with 4 players being fined and banned from match play as well as a member of Al Arabi's staff being fined and warned. Kharja received the most harsh penalty, being fined QR 380,000 and receiving a 10-game ban, the largest penalty in the history of the Qatar Stars League. Later, on 31 March, after a 4–1 defeat to Lekhwiya in the league, Al Arabi terminated his contract as a result of the aftermath of the brawl. He later stated that he had not received notification that his contract was terminated.
- "Houssine Kharja". Goal.com. Retrieved 21 August 2009.
- "APPROVAZIONE DELLA SITUAZIONE FINANZIARIA MENSILE AL 31 AGOSTO 2005". AS Roma (in Italian). 30 September 2005. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- "KHARJA "RIMANE ALLA TERNANA"" (in Italian). Ternana Calcio. 28 July 2006. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- "ECCO I CONVOCATI PER GIULIANOVA. CI SONO PURE KHARJA E JIMENEZ" (in Italian). Ternana Calcio. 1 September 2006. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- "Comunicato Ufficiale N°148/C (2006–07)" (in Italian). Lega Calcio Serie C. 31 January 2007. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- Kharja signs for Piacenza
- "GENOA IN PRESSING SU HOUSSINE KHARJA" (in Italian). genoacfc.it. 10 June 2009. Retrieved 14 June 2009.
- "KHARJA E SPIRA IL VENTO DELL'AFRICA" (in Italian). genoacfc.it. 7 February 2009.
- Genoa CFC Report and Accounts on 31 December 2009 (Italian)
- "Transfers: Kharja joins Inter". inter.it. 29 January 2011. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- "Kharja in viola" (in Italian). Viola channel. 18 August 2011. Retrieved 18 August 2011.
- "Kharja passes medical, signs two-year deal with Al Arabi". Qatar Stars League. 30 June 2012. Retrieved 30 June 2012.
- "خرجة ينفي علمه بخبر إنهاء التعاقد مع العربي" (in Arabic). alkass.net. 1 April 2013. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "Kharja contract ‘terminated’, says report" (in English). thepeninsulaqatar.com. 31 March 2013. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- Houssine Kharja at National-Football-Teams.com