Houston Texans draft history
The following list contains all NFL Draft selections made by the National Football League's Houston Texans franchise since the team's inception into the league in 2002. Included in the list is the 2002 NFL Expansion Draft.
- 1 Drafts by year
- 2 First-Round Draft Picks by year
- 3 Draft Pick Breakdowns
- 4 Major draft trades
- 5 Notes and references
Drafts by year
|= Pro Bowler|
* Asterisk indicates a player who was selected to the Pro Bowl only as a member of another team.
|1/1||David Carr||Quarterback||Fresno State|
|2/33||Jabar Gaffney||Wide receiver||Florida|
|2/50||Chester Pitts||Offensive guard||San Diego State|
|3/66||Fred Weary||Offensive guard||Tennessee|
|3/83||Charles Hill||Defensive tackle||Maryland|
|4/99||Jonathan Wells||Running back||Ohio State|
|5/136||Jarrod Baxter||Fullback||New Mexico|
|6/173||Demarcus Faggins||Cornerback||Kansas State|
|6/190||Howard Green||Defensive tackle||LSU|
|6/0 (Supplemental Draft)||Milford Brown||Offensive guard||Florida State|
|7/229||Greg White||Defensive end||Minnesota|
|7/261||Ahmad Miller||Defensive tackle||UNLV|
|1/3||Andre Johnson||Wide receiver||Miami (FL)|
|2/41 (from New England)||Bennie Joppru||Tight end||Michigan|
|2/0 (Supplemental Draft)||Tony Hollings||Running back||Georgia Tech|
|3/75 (from New England)||Seth Wand||Offensive tackle||NW Missouri State|
|3/88 (from Atlanta)||Dave Ragone||Quarterback||Louisville|
|4/101||Domanick Davis||Running back||LSU|
|6/214||Keith Wright||Defensive tackle||Missouri|
|7/233||Chance Pearce||Center||Texas A&M|
|1/10||Dunta Robinson||Cornerback||South Carolina|
|1/27 (from Tennessee)||Jason Babin*||Defensive end||Western Michigan|
|4/122 (from Indianapolis)||Glenn Earl||Safety||Notre Dame|
|6/170||Vontez Duff||Cornerback||Notre Dame|
|6/175 (from Jacksonville)||Jammal Lord||Safety||Nebraska|
|7/211||Sloan Thomas||Wide receiver||Texas|
|7/248||B.J. Symons||Quarterback||Texas Tech|
|1/16 (from New Orleans)||Travis Johnson||Defensive tackle||Florida State|
|3/73 (from Dallas)||Vernand Morency||Running back||Oklahoma State|
|4/114||Jerome Mathis||Wide receiver||Hampton|
|5/151||Drew Hodgdon||Center||Arizona State|
|1/1||Mario Williams||Defensive end||North Carolina State|
|3/65||Charles Spencer||Offensive tackle||Pittsburgh|
|3/66 (from New Orleans)||Eric Winston||Offensive tackle||Miami (FL)|
|4/98||Owen Daniels||Tight end||Wisconsin|
|6/170||Wali Lundy||Running back||Virginia|
|7/251||David Anderson||Wide receiver||Colorado State|
|1/10 (from Atlanta)||Amobi Okoye||Defensive tackle||Louisville|
|3/73||Jacoby Jones*||Wide receiver||Lane|
|4/123 (from New Orleans)||Fred Bennett||Cornerback||South Carolina|
|5/163 (from New Orleans)||Brandon Frye||Offensive tackle||Virginia Tech|
|6/183||Kasey Studdard||Offensive guard||Texas|
|7/218||Zac Diles||Linebacker||Kansas State|
|1/26 (from Baltimore)||Duane Brown||Offensive tackle||Virginia Tech|
|3/79||Antwaun Molden||Cornerback||Eastern Kentucky|
|3/89 (from Baltimore)||Steve Slaton||Running back||West Virginia|
|4/118||Xavier Adibi||Linebacker||Virginia Tech|
|5/151||Frank Okam||Defensive tackle||Texas|
|6/173 (from Baltimore)||Dominique Barber||Safety||Minnesota|
|7/223||Alex Brink||Quarterback||Washington State|
|1/15||Brian Cushing||Linebacker||Southern California|
|2/46||Connor Barwin||Defensive end||Cincinnati|
|4/112||Glover Quin||Cornerback||New Mexico|
|4/122 (from Minnesota)||Anthony Hill||Tight end||North Carolina State|
|5/152||James Casey||Tight end||Rice|
|7/223||Troy Nolan||Safety||Arizona State|
|2/58 (from New England)||Ben Tate||Running back||Auburn|
|3/81||Earl Mitchell||Defensive tackle||Arizona|
|4/102 (from Kansas City)||Darryl Sharpton||Linebacker||Miami (FL)|
|4/118||Garrett Graham||Tight end||Wisconsin|
|5/144 (from Kansas City)||Sherrick McManis||Cornerback||Northwestern|
|6/187||Shelley Smith||Offensive guard||Colorado State|
|6/197 (from San Diego)||Trindon Holliday||Wide receiver||LSU|
|7/227||Dorin Dickerson||Tight end||Pittsburgh|
|1/11||J. J. Watt||Defensive End||Wisconsin|
|2/60 (from New England)||Brandon Harris||Cornerback||Miami (FL)|
|4/127 (from Washington)||Rashad Carmichael||Cornerback||Virginia Tech|
|5/144 (from Washington)||Shiloh Keo||Safety||Idaho|
|5/152 (from Washington)||T. J. Yates||Quarterback||North Carolina|
|7/214||Derek Newton||Offensive tackle||Arkansas State|
|7/254||Cheta Ozougwu||Defensive end||Rice|
|3/68 (from Tampa Bay)||DeVier Posey||Wide Receiver||Ohio State|
|3/76 (from Philadelphia)||Brandon Brooks||Offensive Guard||Miami (OH)|
|4/99 (from Tampa Bay via Philadelphia)||Ben Jones||Center||Georgia|
|4/121||Keshawn Martin||Wide Receiver||Michigan State|
|4/126 (from New England via Denver and Tampa Bay)||Jared Crick||Defensive End||Nebraska|
|5/161||Randy Bullock||Kicker||Texas A&M|
|6/195||Nick Mondek||Offensive Tackle||Purdue|
|1/27||DeAndre Hopkins||Wide Receiver||Clemson|
|2/57||D.J. Swearinger||Safety||South Carolina|
|3/89||Brennan Williams||Offensive Tackle||North Carolina|
|3/95||Sam Montgomery||Defensive End||LSU|
|4/124||Trevardo Williams||Defensive End||Connecticut|
|6/176 (from Tennessee via Minnesota, Arizona, and Oakland)||David Quessenberry||Offensive Tackle||San Jose State|
|6/195||Alan Bonner||Wide Receiver||Jacksonville State|
|6/198 (from Atlanta via St. Louis)||Chris Jones||Defensive Tackle||Bowling Green|
|6/201||Ryan Griffin||Tight End||Connecticut|
|1/1||Jadeveon Clowney||Defensive End||South Carolina|
|2/33||Xavier Su'a-Filo||Offensive Guard||UCLA|
|3/65||C. J. Fiedorowicz||Tight End||Iowa|
|3/83||Louis Nix III||Defensive Tackle||Notre Dame|
|6/177||Jeoffrey Pagan||Defensive End||Alabama|
|6/181||Alfred Blue||Running Back||LSU|
First-Round Draft Picks by year
Draft Pick Breakdowns
Draft Picks by Position
The following table is a breakdown of all of the draft picks made by the Houston Texans since the 2002 NFL Draft by position of the players selected. The number of first round selections for each position are also included.
|2002||1st overall||David Carr||Quarterback||Fresno State|
|2003||3rd overall||Andre Johnson||Wide receiver||Miami (FL)|
|2004||10th overall||Dunta Robinson||Cornerback||South Carolina|
|2004||27th overall (from Tennessee)||Jason Babin*||Defensive end||Western Michigan|
|2005||16th overall (from New Orleans)||Travis Johnson||Defensive tackle||Florida State|
|2006||1st overall||Mario Williams||Defensive end||North Carolina State|
|2007||10th overall (from Atlanta)||Amobi Okoye||Defensive tackle||Louisville|
|2008||26th overall (from Baltimore)||Duane Brown||Offensive tackle||Virginia Tech|
|2009||15th overall||Brian Cushing||Linebacker||Southern California|
|2010||20th overall||Kareem Jackson||Cornerback||Alabama|
|2011||11th overall||J.J. Watt||Defensive End||Wisconsin|
|2012||26th overall||Whitney Mercilus||Outside Linebacker||Illinois|
|2013||27th overall||DeAndre Hopkins||Wide receiver||Clemson|
|2014||1st overall||Jadeveon Clowney||Defensive End||South Carolina|
Draft Picks by College
The following schools have had multiple players selected by the Houston Texans since 2002.
Draft Picks From Texas Colleges
The following list outlines all of the draft selections from Texas colleges made by the Houston Texans since 2002.
Major draft trades
- The Texans traded their second and fourth-round picks (36th and 117th overall) to the New England Patriots for their second and third-round picks (41st and 75th overall), which were used to select tight end Bennie Joppru and offensive tackle Seth Wand respectively.
- The Texans traded their second, third and fourth-round picks (40th, 73rd and 103rd overall) in the 2004 NFL Draft to the Tennessee Titans for their 2004 first-round pick (27th overall), which was used to select defensive end Jason Babin. The Texans also exchanged their firth-round pick (138th overall) for Tennessee's fifth-rounder (159th overall) as part of the deal.
- The Texans forfeited their second-round pick in the 2004 NFL Draft by selecting running back Tony Hollings in the 2003 Supplemental Draft.
- The Texans swapped their first-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft (13th overall) with the New Orleans Saints (16th overall), which was used to select defensive tackle Travis Johnson. The Texans also received the Saints' third-round pick in the 2006 NFL Draft (66th overall), which was used to select offensive tackle Eric Winston.
- The Texans traded their second and third-round picks (47th and 78th overall) in the 2005 NFL Draft to the Oakland Raiders for cornerback Phillip Buchanon.
- The Texans traded quarterback Drew Henson to the Dallas Cowboys for their third-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft (73rd overall), which was used to select running back Vernand Morency.
- The Texans traded their second-round picks in the 2007 (39th overall) and 2008 NFL Draft (48th overall) to the Atlanta Falcons for quarterback Matt Schaub. The Texans (8th overall) and Falcons (10th overall) also swapped first-round picks as part of the deal. The Falcons would go on to draft Jamaal Anderson with the 8th pick and Justin Blalock with the 39th pick, while the Texans would take Amobi Okoye with the 10th pick.
- The Texans traded their No. 18 overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft to the Baltimore Ravens in exchange for the No. 26 overall pick (Duane Brown) in the first round, as well as the Ravens' third-round pick (No. 89 overall, Steve Slaton) and the Ravens' sixth-round pick (No. 173 overall, Dominique Barber) in the 2008 draft.
Notes and references
- "Texans 2003 Transactions". houstontexans.com. 2007-03-22. Archived from the original on 2006-11-09. Retrieved 2007-03-22.
- "Titans trade first-round pick". tennessean.com. 2004-04-24. Retrieved 2007-03-21.[dead link]
- "PLUS: PRO FOOTBALL; Texans Get Hollings In Second Round". nytimes.com. 2003-07-11. Retrieved 2007-08-09.
- "Trade tracker: Draft deals". espn.com. 2005-04-24. Retrieved 2007-03-22.
- McCauley, Janie (2005-04-20). "Raiders trade Buchanon to Texans". usatoday.com. Retrieved 2007-03-22.
- George, Thomas (2004-03-13). "Henson Finds a Home: Ex-Yankee Is a Cowboy". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2007-03-22.
- "Falcons agree to deal backup QB Schaub to Houston". espn.com. 2007-03-21. Retrieved 2007-03-21.