Hove Park School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
|Local authority||Brighton and Hove|
|DfE URN||114607 Tables|
The school is located over two sites in Hove: The Valley campus educates pupils aged 11 to 14 (academic years 7, 8 and 9), while the Neville campus educates pupils aged 14 to 19 (academic years 10, 11 and sixth form). The school offers a selection of qualifications to its pupils including GCSEs, NVQs and A Levels.
In 2002 the school was accredited as a specialist Language College. Although the specialist schools programme has ended Hove Park School continues to specialise in languages, and offers courses in French, German, Spanish, Italian and Mandarin, as well as extra-curricular courses in Japanese and Arabic, as well as some more common languages. From September 2013 the school will be offering adult education classes in a variety of subjects, including a variety of different languages, GCSEs in English, Maths and psychology, AS religious studies and creative writing, as well as many other 'just for fun' courses, such as ceramics and web design. The school also participates in the European Union funded Interreg IVa programme, which organises regular educational and cultural exchanges with pupils from Europe. It is one of the only schools in the south east to offer a variety of Languages.
Since being the introduction of Headteacher Derek Trimmer in April 2011, the school has seen a massive rise in their exam results. In August 2012, they were placed first in Brighton and Hove for Most improved schools, being 2nd in the South East and 12th Nationally. Since then, an increase in their ofsted rating which sees them rise from a "satisfactory" rating to a "good rating", the second highest rating by ofsted. Most recently, they have issued students with their own Apple devices, and are one of the first schools in the country to do that.
Notable former pupils
- Robert Kazinsky, actor who played Sean Slater in the BBC soap opera EastEnders
- Tom White, musician, producer and video artist
- Davies, Gareth (29 April 2014). "Hove Park parents will take action in protest of the school's academy plans". The Argus. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- "Hove Park School holds academy consultation meetings with parents". Brighton and Hove News. 13 May 2014. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- "Hands off Hove Park School: About". Hands Off Hove Park School. Retrieved 14 May 2014.