How Many Licks?
|"How Many Licks?"|
|Single by Lil' Kim featuring Sisqó|
|from the album The Notorious K.I.M.|
|Released||July 1, 2000|
|Format||CD single, cassette single, 12" single, 7" single|
|Label||Atlantic, Queen Bee Entertainment|
|Lil' Kim featuring Sisqó singles chronology|
"How Many Licks?" is a song recorded by American rapper Lil' Kim for her second studio album The Notorious K.I.M. (2000). The song is about Lil' Kim bragging about the various men she has been with and the effects her "dolls" have on men. The single features R&B singer Sisqó.
The song samples the theme from the TV show, "Knight Rider".
The music video directed by Francis Lawrence follows a storyline in which the protagonist, Kim, releases a line of edible dolls in her own likeness, intended to be used by men to practice cunnilingus. In the initial stanza, Kim rhapsodizes over some of the men with whom she has engaged in intercourse, and how they have satisfied her sexually and non-sexually. The figurine introduced during this sequence is christened "Candy Kim."
The subsequent verse is directed to her fans currently residing in the corrections system, specifically men who masturbate while envisioning themselves having sex with Kim. The singer suggests she is so prepossessing that images of her incite fisticuffs among the internees. She dubs herself "Pin-Up Kim," whose images festoon the cells of the incarcerated.
The concluding section introduces yet another incarnation, "NightRider Kim." NightRider Kim drives an ebony Lamborghini at high velocity, decelerating only when she sees a comely man. The watchword for this final section is "She doesn't satisfy you... you satisfy her." She demands that the listener appease her, admonishing that, if he fails to do so, he must attempt the task again until he succeeds. She stresses that men should perform cunnilingus on her "like it's rehearsal for a tootsie commercial." This allusion reveals the basis for the title of the composition, because since 1970, Tootsie Pops has been running a television advertisement with the tagline, "How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?" Sisqó does not appear in the video.
"How Many Licks" debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at number 90 and rose to its peak at number 75. It did far better on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks peaking at number 36. On the Hot Rap Singles chart it did the best peaking at number 11. The song became a hit in late 2000 in the Netherlands, where it peaked at number 6 in the Dutch Top 40 and remained 13 weeks in the charts.
- German CD single
- "How Many Licks?" (Album Version) - 3:54
- "How Many Licks?" (Soul Society Remix) (Clean Version) - 3:49
- UK Promo CD
- "How Many Licks?" (Clean Radio Version) - 3:57
- "How Many Licks?" (Squeaky Clean Radio Version) - 3:57
- "How Many Licks?" (Instrumental) - 3:57
- European/Australian Maxi CD
- "How Many Licks?" (Soul Society Remix) (Clean Version) - 3:48
- "How Many Licks?" (Sicknote 2 Step Remix) (Clean Version) - 4:13
- "How Many Licks?" (Simon Vegas Remix) (Clean Version) - 3:53
- "How Many Licks?" How Many Licks? (Radio Edit) (Clean Version) - 3:57
- Enhanced Video
Credits and personnel
Credits for "How Many Licks?" are taken from the liner notes.
- Recorded at Daddys' House Recording Studios, NYC & Trans Continental Studios, Orlando, FL.
- Recorded by Stephen Dent, Dave Wade.
- Vocals - Lil' Kim
- Writers - K. Jones, M. Winans, M. Andrews, S. Combs
- Producer - Mario "Yellowman" Winans, Sean "Puffy" Combs
- Mixing - Ed Raso, Stephen Dent
- Mastering - Chris Athens