How to Dress Well
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013)|
|How to Dress Well|
How to Dress Well is the stage name of American artist Tom Krell, born 1984.
Beginning in 2009, Krell started to turn out free EPs online.
His debut album, Love Remains, was released in 2010 on Lefse in the United States and Tri Angle in Europe and Asia. It received a score of 8.7 and the "Best New Music" designation from music review site Pitchfork Media. Stereogum recognized him as one of its "40 Best Bands of 2010". Spin gave it 8 out of 10 stars, calling it "as meditative as it is evocative... conjuring fractured memories of Shai or TLC".
His debut album, Love Remains, assembled the best of his early EPs. After the 2011 EP Just Once—a four-song suite of "Suicide Dream" songs set against a string quartet—Krell returned in 2012 with Total Loss. Krell has also collaborated with Active Child, Forest Swords, Shlohmo, and Jacques Greene and covered R. Kelly, Elite Gymnastics, Xiu Xiu, and Janet Jackson.
On September 18, 2012, Krell released his sophomore effort, Total Loss, which gained the "Best New Music" designation from music review site Pitchfork Media. In his review of the record, Pitchfork's Ian Cohen described Total Loss as "a work of poignant and devastating art." The album was named by Pitchfork as one of the "Top 50 Albums of 2012".
- Just Once EP (2011)
- Krell, Tom (2009). "2009 archive". How to Dress Well blog. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "How to Dress Well: Love Remains | Album Reviews". Pitchfork. 2010-09-24. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "Stereogum’s 40 Best New Bands Of 2010". Stereogum. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Hogan, Marc. "How to Dress Well, 'Love Remains' (Lefse) | SPIN | Albums | Critical Mass". SPIN. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Phares, Heather. "Total Loss - How to Dress Well : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Cohen, Ian (September 20, 2012). "How to Dress Well". Pitchfork.
- "The Top 50 Albums of 2012". Pitchfork.
- The Influence of Janet Jackson’s The Velvet Rope on The Album - Who is How To Dress Well? | Complex
- ""Repeat Pleasure" - How to Dress Well". Indie Shuffle. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- "What Is This Heart?" Official Website
- Twitter announcement of "What Is This Heart?"