How to Stuff a Wild Bikini
|How to Stuff a Wild Bikini|
|Directed by||William Asher|
|Produced by||Samuel Z. Arkoff
James H. Nicholson
|Written by||William Asher
|Music by||Les Baxter|
|Cinematography||Floyd D. Crosby|
|Editing by||Eve Newman|
|Distributed by||American International Pictures|
|Running time||90 minutes|
How to Stuff a Wild Bikini is a 1965 beach party film from American International Pictures. The sixth entry in a seven-film series, the movie features Mickey Rooney, Annette Funicello, Dwayne Hickman, Brian Donlevy, and Beverly Adams. The film features brief, uncredited appearances by Frankie Avalon and includes Buster Keaton in one of his last roles.
The story begins with Frankie (Avalon) going to Tahiti on naval reserve duty. While cavorting with local girls, Frankie realizes that Dee Dee (Funicello) might be disloyal to him. When Frankie seeks help from a witch doctor (Buster Keaton), the witch doctor sends a sea beauty, Cassandra (Adams), to lure Ricky (Hickman), an advertising exec, away from Dee Dee.
Upon Cassandra's arrival, the beach turns upside down, as all the surfers fall for her, an executive wants to make her a model, and Eric Von Zipper and his motorcycle gang add to the trouble.
- Annette Funicello .... Dee Dee
- Dwayne Hickman .... Ricky
- Brian Donlevy .... B. D. (Big Deal) McPherson
- Harvey Lembeck .... Eric Von Zipper
- Beverly Adams .... Cassandra
- John Ashley .... Johnny
- Jody McCrea .... Bonehead
- Marianne Gaba .... Animal
- Len Lesser .... North Dakota Pete
- Irene Tsu .... Native Girl
- Arthur Julian .... Dr. Melamed
- Bobbi Shaw .... Khola Koku
- The Kingsmen .... Themselves
- Alberta Nelson .... Puss
- Buster Keaton .... Bwana
- Mickey Rooney .... Peachy (J. Peachmont) Keane
- Frankie Avalon .... Frankie
- Michele Carey .... Michele
- Elizabeth Montgomery .... Bwana's daughter
Avalon's role was reportedly minimized as a "punishment" after he asked producers Arkoff and Nicholson for more money than they were willing to pay. Avalon appears on-screen for about six minutes. Avalon's small role could also be attributed to the fact that he was filming another AIP production, 1965's Sergeant Deadhead.
Tommy Kirk was originally announced as the male lead but shortly before filming he was arrested for possession of marijuana. He was dropped from the movie and was replaced by Dwayne Hickman. Mickey Rooney agreed to play a supporting role at $5,000 for one week's work in order to pay off some tax debts; 
Filming started in April 1965 and took 15 days. Annette Funicello was pregnant during shooting and was shot mostly wearing blousy tunics or with a prop in front of her (e.g., a bowl of popcorn, a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken).
Elizabeth Montgomery made a cameo appearance as Bwana's daughter who is known as 'The Witches Witch' at the end of the film. Montgomery appeared in a parody of the character she played in Bewitched, which was also directed by her then-husband, William Asher, who also served as director on the film.
Variety called it a "lightweight affair lacking the breeziness and substance of earlier entries." The critic from the Los Angeles Times called the movie a "breezy number". The New York Times said it was "the answer to a moron's prayer".
In 2001, How to Stuff a Wild Bikini was released by MGM on Region 1 DVD. Since its initial DVD release, the film has been included in two box sets, Frankie & Annette MGM Movie Legends Collection and Midnite Movies Double Feature, along with selected Beach Party films.
- Betty Martin, 'MOVIE CALL SHEET: 'ROUGE' HEADS FOR BROADWAY', Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 10 Apr 1965: 19.
- Richard Harland Smith, "How to Stuff a Wild Bikini", Turner Classic Movies accessed 3 January 2013
- MOVIE CALL SHEET: REVOLUTION TO BE FILMED BY THOMPSON Martin, Betty. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 17 Apr 1965: B9.
- Eder, Bruce. "How to Stuff a Wild Bikini". Allmovie. Retrieved 2007-12-19.
- 1965 Review from Variety
- 'Bikini' a Breezy Number Scott, John L. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 06 Aug 1965: C10.
- The Screen: 'Wild Bikini' Appearing in Neighborhoods New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 12 Jan 1967: 48
- How to Stuff a Wild Bikini DVD release info
- Frankie & Annette MGM Movie Legends Collection DVD release info
- Beach Blanket Bingo/How to Stuff a Wild Bikini (Midnite Movies Double Feature) DVD release info
- How to Stuff a Wild Bikini at the Internet Movie Database
- How to Stuff a Wild Bikini at allmovie
- How to Stuff a Wild Bikini at the TCM Movie Database
- How to Stuff a Wild Bikini at Rotten Tomatoes
- Soundtrack album at Beach Party Movie Music
- Trailer at You Tube
- How to Stuff a Wild Bikini at Brian's Drive-In Theatre