How to Be Indie
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (May 2011)|
|How to Be Indie|
|Created by||Vera Santamaria
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||52 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Suzanne Bolch
Karen Lee Hall
Jennifer Pun Morrissette
|Running time||22 Minutes|
|Production company(s)||Heroic Film Company
Sudden Storm Productions
|Original run||October 2, 2009 – October 24, 2011|
How to Be Indie is a Canadian television show that has aired on YTV. The main character is a 13-year-old Indian Canadian teenager named Indira "Indie" Mehta. The program is a single-camera series intended for a youth audience. The series was created by Vera Santamaria, John May, and Suzanne Bolch. The series ran for two seasons and aired its final episode on October 24, 2011 on YTV in Canada and May 26, 2012 on Disney Channel in the United Kingdom.
The program follows Indie's journey as she tries to get the most out of life despite the travails of junior high school and the expectations of her Indian parents. She is joined by her two best friends Marlon Parks and Abigail "Abi" Flores. She often falls into the trap of caring more about what her peers think of her than who she wants to be herself, and consequently spends a lot of time trying to impress her classmates. When not focusing on Indie, the show focuses on Marlon and Abi. A given episode will usually show Marlon's quirky antics getting him into a troublesome situation. Abi will have to help extricate him, which she willingly does, feeling pity on him. Sometimes, however, they swap roles as Marlon tries to play it cool.
The show is produced by Heroic Film Company in association with DHX Media and YTV and created by writer Vera Santamaria Suzanne Bolch and John May. Season one filmed 26 twenty-five minute episodes and first premiered on 2 October 2009. The show was a part of YTV's 'Big Fun Weeknights'. A second season began filming in summer 2010, shooting five episodes and resumed filming in November 2010. The second season premiered on October 11, 2010.
- Melinda Shankar as Indira "Indie" Mehta, the main character of the show. An upbeat and lively teenager, she is a new generation of Indian and is very modern, which often clashes with her parents.
- Marline Yan as Abigail "Abi" Flores, Indie's best friend. Abi is very intelligent, always being there to get Indie and Marlon Parks out of trouble.
- Dylan Everett as Marlon Parks, Indie's troublesome friend. He often relies on Abi to help him get out of trouble.
- Sarena Parmar as Chandra Mehta, Indie's older sister. She enjoys being in the spotlight and outdoing her sister and brother, usually being rather selfish and selling her siblings out to get her way. Chandra is very familiar with her parents' traditional expectations and values, often finding ways around them with greater ease than Indie. She occasionally offers Indie sound advice.
- Varun Saranga as A.J. Mehta, Indie's older brother. He is the intelligent one in the family, but is known as a geek in school.
- Ellora Patnaik as Jyoti Mehta, Indie's mother. She is very traditional, usually favouring Chandra for being able to impress relatives.
- Vijay Mehta as Vikram Mehta, Indie's father.
- Errol Sitahal as Prakash Mehta, Indie's paternal grandfather, known more familiarly as "Babaji".
- Shainu Bala as Ram Ramachandran
- Nikki Shah as Ruby Patel
- Atticus Dean Mitchell as Carlos Martinelli
- Deborah Glover as Mrs. Roland
- Jordan Hudyma as Chad Tash (Season 1 and 2)
- Ted Ludzik as Coach Wexler
- Alex De Jordy as Mike O'Donnell (Season 1)
- Georgina Reilly as Skye Rivers (Season 1)
- Jason Jia as John Lu (Season 1)
- Cassius Crieghtney as Dre (Season 2)
- Timothy Lai as Aidan (Season 2)
- Max Topplin as Madison