September 14, 1950 |
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Occupation||Film director, television director|
|Spouse(s)||Lea Thompson (1989–present)|
|Children||Madeline Deutch, Zoey Deutch|
Howard Deutch (born September 14, 1950) is an American film director. He is perhaps best known for his collaboration with filmmaker John Hughes, having directed two of Hughes' best known screenplays (of those that Hughes did not direct himself), Pretty in Pink and Some Kind of Wonderful. His most recent theatrical release was My Best Friend's Girl, starring Jason Biggs, Kate Hudson, Dane Cook, and Alec Baldwin.
Life and career
Deutch was born in New York City, New York, the son of Pamela (née Wolkowitz) and Murray Deutch, a music executive and publisher. His uncle is actor Robert Walden (who is his mother's brother). Deutch was raised in a Jewish family. He graduated from George W. Hewlett High School and then attended The Ohio State University. He began his career in the advertising department of United Artists Records, where his father was company president. Deutch directed music videos for performers such as Billy Idol ("Flesh for Fantasy") and Billy Joel ("Keeping the Faith"). Deutch's feature-length directorial debut was the John Hughes penned Brat Pack film, Pretty in Pink. His next two directorial efforts were also written by Hughes: Some Kind of Wonderful and The Great Outdoors.
Deutch met his wife, actress Lea Thompson, during the filming of Some Kind of Wonderful; she was also featured in Article 99, his first feature venture without Hughes. They have two daughters, Madeline and Zoey Deutch, both of whom are actresses.
Deutch has directed three sequels to film in which he did not direct the originals: Grumpier Old Men, The Odd Couple II, and The Whole Ten Yards. During a hiatus from features, Deutch directed episodic television, including two installments of Tales from the Crypt, the pilot episode of Melrose Place, and installments of Caroline in the City, starring his wife.
- Nominated for DGA Award Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Movies for Television in 2003 for Gleason (2002)
- Earned a CableACE Award for his direction of an episode of the HBO series Tales From the Crypt entitled Dead Right.
- 1986 : Pretty in Pink
- 1987 : Some Kind of Wonderful
- 1988 : The Great Outdoors
- 1992 : Article 99
- 1992 : Melrose Place (TV series)
- 1994 : Getting Even with Dad
- 1995 : Caroline in the City (TV series)
- 1995 : Grumpier Old Men
- 1998 : The Odd Couple II
- 2000 : The Replacements
- 2002 : Watching Ellie (TV series)
- 2002 : Gleason (TV film)
- 2004 : The Whole Ten Yards
- 2008 : My Best Friend's Girl
- Howard Deutch, NNDB
- "Howard Deutch Biography - Yahoo! Movies". Movies.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Howard Deutch pic, poster, close-up pics & event picture". Aahceleb.com. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- Howard Deutch
- Howard Deutch at the Internet Movie Database
- Howard Deutch at AllRovi
- Howard Deutch, Rotten Tomatoes