Howard Township, Knox County, Ohio
|Howard Township, Ohio|
Location of Howard Township in Knox County.
|• Total||23.4 sq mi (60.7 km2)|
|• Land||22.6 sq mi (58.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.8 sq mi (2.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,083 ft (330 m)|
|• Density||190.8/sq mi (73.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086400|
Located in the east central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Brown Township - north
- Union Township - east
- Butler Township - southeast corner
- Harrison Township - south
- College Township - southwest corner
- Monroe Township - west
- Pike Township - northwest corner
Name and history
It is the only Howard Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Knox County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Graham, Albert Adams (1881). History of Knox County, Ohio: Its Past and Present, Containing a Condensed, Comprehensive History of Ohio. A. A. Graham & Company. p. 474.
- Norton, Anthony Banning (1862). A History of Knox County, Ohio, from 1779 to 1862 Inclusive: Comprising Biographical Sketches, Anecdotes and Incidents of Men Connected with the County from Its First Settlement. R. Nevins, printer. p. 322.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.