|D. Howell Peregrine|
|Born||30 December 1938|
|Died||20 March 2007
|Institutions||University of Bristol|
|Alma mater||Oxford University
|Doctoral advisor||T. Brooke Benjamin FRS|
Howell Peregrine (30 December 1938 – 20 March 2007) was a British applied mathematician noted for his contributions to fluid mechanics, especially of free surface flows such as water waves, and coastal engineering.
Education and career
Howell Peregrine joined the Mathematics Department of University of Bristol in 1964 following his undergraduate and postgraduate training at Oxford and Cambridge. He spent his entire career at Bristol. One of his most remarkable contributions was the theoretical prediction of a new nonlinear entity, now called the Peregrine soliton, that may explain the formation of hydrodynamics rogue waves and that has also been experimentally demonstrated more than 25 years later in the field of nonlinear fiber optics  and then in 2011 in hydrodynamics with experiments in a water wave tank.
- Moffatt, H. K. (2007). "Professor D. Howell Peregrine". Journal of Fluid Mechanics 580: 1–2. Bibcode:2007JFM...580....1M. doi:10.1017/S0022112007999991.
- Cooker, M. (2010). "A commemoration of Howell Peregrine, 30 December 1938–20 March 2007". Journal of Engineering Mathematics 67 (1): 1–9. Bibcode:2010JEnMa..67....1C. doi:10.1007/s10665-009-9331-x.
- Franco, L.; Tomasicchio, G. R.; Lamberti, Alberto, eds. (2007). "In memoriam of Howell Peregrine". Coastal Structures 2007. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference (pdf). World Scientific. pp. vii–viii.
- "Professor D H Peregrine". bris.ac.uk. Retrieved 2008-09-20.
- Peregrine, D. H. (1983). "Water waves, nonlinear Schrödinger equations and their solutions". J. Austral. Math. Soc. B 25: 16–43. doi:10.1017/S0334270000003891.
- Kibler, B.; Fatome, J.; Finot, C.; Millot, G.; Dias, F.; Genty, G.; Akhmediev, N.; Dudley, J.M. (2010). "The Peregrine soliton in nonlinear fibre optics". Nature Physics 6 (10): 790–795. Bibcode:2010NatPh...6..790K. doi:10.1038/nphys1740.
- "Peregrine’s 'Soliton' observed at last". bris.ac.uk. Retrieved 2010-08-24.
- Chabchoub, A.; Hoffmann, N.P.; Akhmediev, N. (2011). "Rogue wave observation in a water wave tank". Phys. Rev. Lett. 106 (20). Bibcode:2011PhRvL.106t4502C. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.106.204502.