The Howie scream (also known as the Howie Long scream or Screams 3; Man, Gut-wrenching Scream And Fall Into Distance) is a frequently-used film and television stock sound effect for a scream. Believed to have originated in 1980 as a sound effect in the movie The Ninth Configuration, the sound effect is featured as Screams 3; Man, Gut-wrenching Scream And Fall Into Distance in a Hollywood Edge sound library called The Premiere Edition. Often compared to the Wilhelm scream, its prominence in a number of movies has given it a few nicknames such as Howie Long Scream, in reference to Howie Long's death scene in the movie Broken Arrow, and the TIE Fighter scream, for its similarity to the sound the passing fighters make in the 1977 film Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. The Howie scream has also been referred to by its onomatopoeia, Youraagh.
It has also been used in video games such as Half-Life 2 as a faster version called the "Fast Zombie Yell", Starcraft as the response noise for the Terran Academy, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare as a sound effect for when the player completes a challenge.
- The Ninth Configuration (1980): Possibly the first use of the Howie scream.
- The Doors (film) (1991): When the stage collapses during a performance of 'Break on Through'
- Passenger 57 (1992): Toward the end of the movie, when a villain is kicked out of the plane.
- Beethoven's 2nd (1993): Ryce's ex-boyfriend falls through the bedroom window and into the river.
- Another Stakeout (1993): used in several fight and action scenes.
- Serial Mom (1994): Used by a man upon finding a dead body.
- Aaahh!!! Real Monsters (1994-1997): At the end of the opening theme.
- Star Wars: Dark Forces (1995): Used whenever the player falls a long distance.
- Broken Arrow (1996): Uttered by actor Howie Long, after whom the scream is named.
- StarCraft (1998) and StarCraft: Brood War (1998): The scream is heard whenever the player clicks on the Terran Academy.
- Crash Bandicoot (1996) and Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (1997): Used as death screams for various scientists.
- The Mothman Prophecies (2002): Used during the bridge-collapse scene toward the end of the film.
- The Medallion (2003): Used in many scenes, but mostly as a scream coming directly from the medallion in question.
- My-HiME (2004): Used in a post-credits omake at the end of the eighth episode.
- Shrek SuperSlam (2005): used in the intro.
- Robot Chicken (2005): used in several episodes.
- Harold & Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay (2008): used when Kumar attacks one of the members of The Klu Klux Klan after one them accidentally urinates on him causing him to attack.
- Mad (2010): Various Episodes
- Teen Titans Go! (2013): A portion heard in "The Date" when Speedy (dressed as Robin) charges at Robin (dressed as Speedy) but Speedy knocks him out, preventing the scream from finishing all the way.
- Jurassic Park: The Ride TV trailer (TV Commercial): Can be heard while a man is falling down with the ride.
- Face/Off (1997): During the prison scene a guard goes down and screams.