Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti
|"Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti"|
|Single by Miguel Gallardo|
|from the album Autorretrato|
|B-side||"Y Si Te Quedas Atrás"|
|Miguel Gallardo singles chronology|
"Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti" (English: "I Have Desire for You Today") is a song written and performed by Spanish singer-songwriter Miguel Gallardo. It was released in 1976 as the lead single from his debut studio album Autorretrato. The song is about a man who confesses his feelings to a woman who is leaving. Upon its release, the song was well received in Mexico where it became one of the best-performing songs of the year. Since then, the song has been covered by several artists including Azúcar Moreno, Ricardo Montaner, and Alejandro Fernández.
Fernández covered the song on his fifteenth studio album Confidencias (2013) and features American recording artist Christina Aguilera as the guest artist. It was served as the main theme song for the Mexican telenovela La Tempestad. His version peaked at number one on the Mexican Monitor Latino chart and became a top five hit in Spain and on the Billboard Hot Latin Songs chart in the United States. Azúcar Moreno's cover of the song peaked at number five in Spain while Montaner's version reached number one in Venezuela and ranked at number twenty-three on the US Latin Songs chart.
Miguel Gallardo started his music career as a songwriter, composing songs for other artists. He started his own career as a singer in 1972 under the alias Eddy Gallardo. His first songs as Eddy Gallardo were "Billy Bom", "Jenny", "Sentimiento", and "Explosion de Amor" all of which were released as singles. One year later, he changed his stage name to Miguel Gallardo and released several singles including "Quedaté" which was inspired by Pablo Neruda's poem Farewell and peaked at number one on the Spanish singles chart. In 1975, Gallardo recorded his first studio album Autorretrato which was released by EMI Records.
The song, "Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti", was selected as the lead single from the album. Lyrically, the song speaks about a man who confesses his feelings to a woman who is leaving. It received radio airplay in Mexico and became one of the best-performing songs of 1976 in the country. The song has been adapted into several languages including English, French, Portuguese, Chinese, and Greek. It has been included on several of his greatest albums including 20 Grandes Exitos (1990), Mis Mejores Canciones: 17 Super Exitos (1993), and Mi Vida (2006) which was released shortly after his death.
Alejandro Fernández version
|"Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti"|
|Single by Alejandro Fernández featuring Christina Aguilera|
|from the album Confidencias|
|Released||May 8, 2013|
|Label||Universal Music Latino|
"Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti" was covered by Mexican recording artist Alejandro Fernández featuring American recording artist Christina Aguilera for his fifteenth studio album Confidencias (2013). It was released on May 8, 2013, by Universal Music Latino as the lead single from the record. Production of their rendition was handled by Phil Ramone. The track is also featured as the opening theme for the Mexican telenovela La Tempestad. Another version of the song features Fernández as the solo singer which was included on the deluxe edition of the album.
Upon its release, "Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti" received general acclaim from music critics, who placed particular praise on Aguilera's vocal delivery. The track respectively reached numbers one and four in Mexico and Spain. Its accompanying music video, directed by the Simon Brand, was released on July 19, 2013, and was also met with generally favorable reviews.
Background and development
A 27 second sample of the cover of "Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti" by Alejandro Fernández and Christina Aguilera performing the chorus together. This version was the last production done by Phil Ramone shortly before his death.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Fernández first announced his collaboration with Aguilera in May 2013, during which time he was "putting the finishing touches" on his then-upcoming studio album Confidencias. Their rendition was produced by Phil Ramone. When discussing the project, Fernández commented that "Christina has an amazing voice, sweet but also very powerful and full of healing", and was "very happy and proud with the result". Their cover version is used as the theme song for the Mexican telenovela La Tempestad.
Upon its release, "Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti" received generally favorable reviews from music critics. Tom Jurek of AllMusic called it a "smash", and listed it as one of three stand-out tracks from Confidencias. A writer for MuuMuse described the cover as a "duet for the ages" and complimented their vocal performance for being "legendary". Another contributor to the website opined that Aguilera's performance "subsequently rendered all other Spanish language music irrelevant upon its release." Perez Hilton praised the song for emphasizing the "power, feeling and all the right touches in all the right places."
"Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti" reached number one on Mexican Singles Chart, organized by Monitor Latino. The track was later certified platinum for reaching sales of 100,000 copies; it accomplished this achievement in seventeen days. It also proved successful on the Spanish Singles Chart, organized by Productores de Música de España, where it reached number four. In the United States, the track respectively peaked at numbers five and thirteen on the Hot Latin Songs and Latin Pop Songs charts.
An accompanying music video for "Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti" was directed by Simon Brand, and was premiered through Vevo on July 19, 2013. Amaris Castilloof of Latina summarized that Fernández and Aguilera "appear to be in an abandoned mansion and overwhelmed with a tremendous desire for each other." She provided a mixed review for the video, questioning if the "glimpses of skin touching, scenes of someone swimming (we have no idea who) with luxurious pearls, and a cheesy telenovela-esque embrace" were overdone.
Writing for Idolator, Mike Wass gave a positive review for the clip, opining that "[Aguilera's] stunning curves steal the show and she clearly relishes her role as a steamy seductress." Carolyn Menyes from Mstarz commented that it "lives up to the dramatic nature of the song and the telenovela for which it was performed", adding that "the wistful looks seem straight out of Telemundo." The music video is nominated for Video of the Year at the upcoming 2014 Lo Nuestro Awards ceremony.
|Mexico (Billboard Mexican Airplay)||3|
|Mexico (Monitor Latino)||1|
|U.S. Hot Latin Songs (Billboard)||5|
|U.S. Latin Pop Songs (Billboard)||13|
|Mexico (AMPROFON)||3× Platinum||200,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
|United States||May 8, 2013||Universal Music Latino|||
|Mexico||May 10, 2013|||
|Spain||May 13, 2013|||
Other cover versions
In 1996, Spanish duo Azúcar Moreno covered "Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti" on their sixth studio album Esclava De Tu Piel. It was released as the second single from the album and a music video for the song was filmed in New York City, New York. The CD single contains the album version and five remixes of the song. Their version peaked at number five on the Spanish Singles Chart. In 2007, Argentine-Venezuelan Ricardo Montaner covered the song on his fifteenth studio album Las Mejores Canciones del Mundo, a collection of famous songs covered by him. Released as the lead single from the album, the song peaked at number twenty-three on the Hot Latin Songs and number ten on the Latin Pop Songs charts in the United States. It also peaked at number one in Venezuela on the Record Report Top 100 chart. On the review of Montaner's greatest hits album Un Camino de Exitos (2008), Eric Schneider called "Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti" a "dramatic" track. The accompanying music video for Montaner's cover was filmed in New York City, New York which was directed by his wife Marlene Rodríguez Miranda and released on August 2007. A dance remix was included on the deluxe version of the album and it was also recorded in bachata music.
- "El cáncer acabó con la vida del cantante español Miguel Gallardo". Radio Cooperativa (in Spanish). Compañía Chilena de Comunicaciones S.A. November 12, 2005. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- "Miguel Gallardo: Una leyenda hecha canción". El Nuevo Día (in Spanish). Editorial Aguasclaras S.A. November 14, 2011. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- "Muere Miguel Gallardo, cantante y compositor de temas como "Hoy tengo ganas de ti"". ABC (in Spanish) (Grupo Vocento). November 12, 2005. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- "Alejandro Fernandez - Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti Lyrics" (in Spanish). MetroLyrics. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- Galván, Hugo (2013). Rock impop: El rock mexicano en la radio Top 40 (in Spanish). p. 128. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- "Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti - Miguel Gallardo". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- "Confidencias (Deluxe Edition) by Alejandro Fernández". iTunes. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- "Alejandro Fernández estrena nuevo sencillo: "Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti" a dueto con Christina Aguilera.". Retrieved May 8, 2013.
- "Alejandro Fernández estrenará Confidencias a finales de agosto". People en Español (in Spanish). Time Inc. July 29, 2013. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- Thom Jurek. "Confidencias - Alejandro Fernández". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- "Legendtina Releases "Hoy Tengo Ganas De Ti," All Other Spanish Language Music Rendered Irrelevant". MuuMuse. May 8, 2013. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- "MuuMuse Presents: A Subtitled Version of Legendtina’s "Hoy Tengo Ganas De Ti" Video". MuuMuse. July 27, 2013. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- Perez Hilton (May 8, 2013). "Christina Aguilera & Alejandro Fernández Slay Hoy Tengo Ganas De Ti!". Perez Hilton. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- "Top 20 General: Del 10 Al 16 de Junio del 2013". RadioNotas (in Spanish). Monitor Latino. June 16, 2013. Retrieved June 26, 2013.
- Staff Writer (September 18, 2013). "Alejandro Fernández Scores His Biggest Sales Week Ever With New Album, 'Confidencias'". Latinos Post. Retrieved October 7, 2013.
- "ALEJANDRO FERNÁNDEZ recibe Disco de Oro y Platino". Universal Music Magazine (Mexico) (in spanish). Retrieved August 7, 2013.
- "Alejandro Fernández / Christina Aguilera - Hoy tengo ganas de ti". Spanish Charts. Hung Medien. Retrieved October 8, 2013.
- "Alejandro Fernández - Chart history". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- "Alejandro Fernández - Chart history". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- Moreno, Carolina (July 22, 2013). "Christina Aguilera, Alejandro Fernandez Premiere 'Hoy Tengo Ganas De Ti'". The Huffington Post (AOL). Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- Amaris Castilloof (July 23, 2013). "Christina Aguilera's New Video: Is It Too Much?". Latina. Latina Media Ventures, LLC. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- Mike Wass (July 19, 2013). "Christina Aguilera Is A Busty Goddess In Alejandro Fernandez’s "Hoy Tengo Ganas De Ti" Video: Watch". Idolator. Buzz Media. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- Carolyn Menyes (July 19, 2013). "Christina Aguilera, Alejandro Fernandez Music Video 'Hoy Tengo Ganas De Ti': WATCH 'The Voice' Judge Sing in Spanish Duet for Telenovela 'La Tempestad'". Mstarz. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- "Lista de nominados al Premio Lo Nuestro". El Universal (in Spanish) (Compañía Periodística Nacional). December 5, 2013. Retrieved December 6, 2013.
- "Alejandro Fernández - Chart history". Billboard. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- "Certificaciones – 2013" (in Spanish). Asociación Mexicana de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas.
- "Alejandro Fernández & Christina Aguliera "Hoy tengo ganas de ti" (Video Premiere)". Ultimate Music. July 19, 2013. Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- "Hoy Tengo Ganas De Ti [feat. Christina Aguilera]: Alejandro Fernández". Amazon.com (ES). May 14, 2013. Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- "Esclava de tu Piel". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- Llewellyn, Howell (October 26, 1996). "Azúcar Moreno Spreads Latin Flavor Worldwide". Billboard (Prometheus Global Media) 108 (43): 54. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "Azucar Moreno - Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti (Remixes)". Discogs. 1996. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- Salaverri, Fernando (2005). Sólo éxitos. Año a año. 1959-2002 (in Spanish). Madrid, Spain: Iberautor Promociones Culturales. ISBN 978-84-8048-639-2.
- "Las Mejores Canciones del Mundo - Ricardo". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- "Ricardo Montaner - Chart history". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- "Top 100". Record Report (in Spanish). R.R. Digital C.A. May 5, 2007. Archived from the original on May 5, 2007. Retrieved May 13, 2013.
- Schneider, Eric. "Un Camino de Exitos - Ricardo". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- "Ricardo Montaner Paraliza Nueva York. El Cantautor Filmó En La Gran Manzana El Video Clip De Su Nuevo Single,"Hoy Tengo Ganas De Ti"" (in Spanish). Encanto de Gente. January 2007. Retrieved May 13, 2013.
- "Hoy Tengo Ganas de Ti de Ricardo Montaner". iTunes. Retrieved May 13, 2013.
- "Las Mejores Canciones del Mundo". iTunes. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- "Tropical Latin April 2007". Promo Only. Retrieved October 10, 2013.