Hromada (political party)
All-Ukrainian Association "Hromada" (Ukrainian: Всеукраїнське об'єднання «Громада», Sveukrainske obiednannia "Hromada") is a Ukrainian political party registered in March 1994 and reregistered in March 2005. Party leader is former Prime Minister Pavlo Lazarenko.
At the 1998 elections the party won 24 seats in the Ukrainian parliament (Verkhovna Rada), mainly because of its good results in the Dnipropetrovsk Oblast. The party won 4.7% of the votes and 16 proportional seats 8 individual seats the Verkhovna Rada (half of the 450 parliament seats were filled by single-seat majority winners in 225 territorial election regions, and the other half were split among political parties and blocks, which received at least 4% popular vote).
When Lazarenko fled to the United States in the spring of 1999 to avoid investigations for embezzlement various faction members left the party to join other parliament faction including the later Prime Minister of Ukraine Yulia Tymoshenko who set up the All-Ukrainian Union "Fatherland" faction.
The Hromada faction was disbanded in the Ukrainian parliament on February 29, 2000 because it was unable to meet the minimum requirement of fourteen members.
At the 2006 elections Hromada participated in the "Lazarenko Bloc" (Ukrainian: Блок Лазаренка), which consisted of Hromada, Social Democratic Union and Social Democratic Party of Ukraine, but this bloc was supported by only 76.950 voters, or 0.30%, and therefore did not make it to parliament. But the block reached third place in the Dnipropetrovsk Oblast council elections of 2006. Pavlo Lazarenko's brother, Ivan Lazarenko, is vice-chairman of Dnipropetrovsk Oblast council and the party itself governed the city in an alliance with the Party of Regions.
In the 2007 elections the party did not take part because the Central Election Commission of Ukraine refused to register candidates of Hromada as candidates because Hromada did not notify the Central Election Commission of the right date of its congress. The party planned to participate in the elections (again) in an election bloc with the Social Democratic Union. Social Democratic Union did not participate in the 2007 election either.
During the 2010 Ukrainian local elections the party won 2 representatives in the Dnipropetrovsk Oblast Council (regional parliament). In the council of Dnipropetrovsk the party lost all its seats. In the 2012 Ukrainian parliamentary election the party won 0.08% of the national votes and no constituencies (it had competed in four constituencies) and thus failed to win parliamentary representation. The Central Election Commission of Ukraine had refused Pavlo Lazarenko's registration for this election (he had been chosen to head the election list of the party).
|Parliamentary since 1998
(year links to election page)
||part of Lazarenko Bloc|
- Who Is Who in Tymoshenko’s Government? 23.12.2007, Ukrayinska Pravda
- Wolczuk, Kataryna (2001), The Moulding of Ukraine: The Constitutional Politics of State Formation, Central European University Press, p. 263
- (Ukrainian) Політична партія Всеукраїнське об'єднання „Громада“, Databases DATA
- (Ukrainian) Політична партія Всеукраїнське об'єднання "Громада", Databases ASD
- (Ukrainian) Proportional votes & Constituency seats, Central Election Commission of Ukraine
- [swords]=8fd5893941d69d0be3f378576261ae3e&tx_ttnews[any_of_the_words]=Hromada&tx_ttnews[pointer]=1&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=11443&tx_ttnews[backPid]=7&cHash=10213e7200 A CABINET OF REFORMS?, The Jamestown Foundation (January 12, 2000)
- [swords]=8fd5893941d69d0be3f378576261ae3e&tx_ttnews[any_of_the_words]=Hromada&tx_ttnews[pointer]=1&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=11444&tx_ttnews[backPid]=7&cHash=9fe0200b55 REFORMIST UKRAINIAN PREMIER APPOINTED, The Jamestown Foundation (January 12, 2000)
- [swords]=8fd5893941d69d0be3f378576261ae3e&tx_ttnews[any_of_the_words]=Hromada&tx_ttnews[pointer]=1&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=11596&tx_ttnews[backPid]=7&cHash=aa6c75d312 MAYOR ESCAPES ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT, The Jamestown Foundation (November 30, 1999)
- [swords]=8fd5893941d69d0be3f378576261ae3e&tx_ttnews[any_of_the_words]=Hromada&tx_ttnews[pointer]=1&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=29300&tx_ttnews[backPid]=7&cHash=9a641637e3 NEW PARLIAMENTARY GROUP FORMED BY LEFTIST DISSENTERS, The Jamestown Foundation (March 6, 2000)
- Hometown might not vote for Tymoshenko, Kyiv Post (December 11, 2009)
- «Громада» на черговому з’їзді задекларувала готовність до участі у виборах на всіх рівнях
- (Russian) Украинский политический фарс заставляет Лазаренко прощать обиды, ЛІГА.net (September 10, 2007)
- (Ukrainian) Партія "Соціал-демократичний Союз", www.sd.net.ua
- (Ukrainian) Results of the elections, preliminary data, on interactive maps by Ukrayinska Pravda (November 8, 2010)
- Central Election Commission registers Hromada party ticket without Lazarenko, Kyiv Post (15 August 2012)
Lazarenko brothers lead Hromada list of candidates for deputies, Kyiv Post (6 August 2012)
- (Ukrainian) Results of voting in single constituencies in 2012 & Nation-wide list, Central Election Commission of Ukraine
- Official website (Ukrainian)