Monastyr, Austro-Hungarian Empire
|Died||14 December 2007
(aged 116 years, 274 days)?
Staryi Yarychiv, Ukraine
|Residence||Kamianka-Buzka, Lviv Oblast, Ukraine|
|Known for||Allegedly being one of the world's oldest people ever|
Hryhoriy Nestor (Ukrainian: Григорій Дмитрович Нестор; also Grigory Nestor) (15 March 1891 or 1 July 1911 – 14 December 2007) claimed to be the oldest man in the world. At the time of his death, he would have been 116 years old, if his age were verified, an age that only one man, Jiroemon Kimura, has verifiably reached.
He never married, and claimed that this was one of the secrets of his longevity. He never fell ill, never took medicines and although he said that one of his lifelong passions was drinking vodka, he never drank alcohol in large amounts.
At the time, Nestor's relatives were in the process of applying to Guinness World Records for the title of the world's oldest person and oldest man. Many claims in the past have been applied, but were not accepted for lack of evidence (if sent to them at all), as in the case of Leonid Stadnyk (whose claim to be the tallest living man was rejected for some time until verified by Guinness personnel in August 2007). Nestor reportedly had original old passports from the Austrian-Hungarian Empire and the Soviet Union, major powers who occupied Western Ukraine since 1891; however, he never provided copies to Guinness, the Gerontology Research Group or even Ukrainian scientists. Note the passport shown in videos was issued by authorities after 1991, and so does not serve as proof of birth.
- "Ukraine's 'oldest man' turns 116". BBC News. 15 March 2007. Retrieved 16 March 2007.
- "World’s oldest man ever turns 116 in Kyoto as his health is studied". The Japan Daily Press. 2013-04-15. Retrieved 2013-04-19.
- "World's oldest person turns 116 in Japan". FRANCE 24 International News. April 19, 2013. Retrieved April 19, 2013.
- AFP. "World's oldest person Jiroemon Kimura turns 116 in Japan". The Economic Times. Retrieved April 19, 2013.
- "Ukraine's oldest person lives in Lviv Oblast". L'viv Regional State Administration Web Site (in Ukrainian). 4 July 2004. Retrieved 17 March 2007.
|This Ukrainian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|