Huang Chengyan (birth and death dates unknown) was a scholar who lived in the Eastern Han dynasty. He was from Miannan (沔南), Jing Province, which is around present-day Honghu, Jingzhou, Hubei. He was known for being carefree and open-minded.
Huang Chengyan married the elder daughter of Cai Feng (蔡諷). They had a daughter, whose name was not recorded in history and is better known by her fictional name, Huang Yueying. Huang Yueying married Zhuge Liang, a chancellor and regent of the state of Shu Han in the Three Kingdoms period. Cai Feng's younger daughter married Liu Biao, the Governor of Jing Province in the late Eastern Han dynasty. Cai Feng also had a son, Cai Mao.
Huang Chengyan is a character in Luo Guanzhong's historical novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms, which romanticises the historical events before and during the Three Kingdoms period. He first appeared in chapter 37 when Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei were visiting Zhuge Liang's house. He appeared again in chapter 84 after the Battle of Xiaoting, in which he led Lu Xun out of Zhuge Liang's Stone Sentinel Maze.
- (襄陽記曰：黃承彥者，高爽開列，為沔南名士，謂諸葛孔明曰：「聞君擇婦；身有醜女，黃頭黑色，而才堪相配。」孔明許，即載送之。時人以為笑樂，鄉里為之諺曰：「莫作孔明擇婦，止得阿承醜女。」) Xiangyang Ji annotation in Sanguozhi vol. 35.
- (漢末，諸蔡最盛，蔡諷姊適太尉張溫，長女為黃承彥妻，小女為劉景升後婦，瑁之姊也。) Xiangyang Qijiu Ji vol. 1.
- Chen, Shou. Records of the Three Kingdoms (Sanguozhi).
- Pei, Songzhi. Annotations to Records of the Three Kingdoms (Sanguozhi zhu).
- Luo, Guanzhong. Romance of the Three Kingdoms (Sanguo Yanyi).
- Xi, Zuochi. Xiangyang Qijiu Ji (襄陽耆舊記).