Central China Normal University
|Central China Normal University|
|Academic staff||700 professors, 4,000 teaching staff|
|Location||Wuhan, Hubei, PRC|
|Campus||Urban, 2,000 mu (亩)|
Central China Normal University (CCNU or sometimes referred as Huazhong Normal University) (Chinese: 华中师范大学, traditional Chinese characters: 華中師範大學, Pinyin: Huázhōng Shīfàn Dàxué), located in Wuhan, China, is a university directly under the control of the Chinese Ministry of Education. Sponsored by the national program "Project 211" as one of key universities. Central China Normal University, along with East China Normal University and Beijing Normal University are the top three normal universities in mainland China. CCNU also has one of the best Political Schools in China and is ranked 3rd together with Fudan University. A normal school referred to an institution that aimed to train school teachers in early twentieth century dating back to French tradition, and this terminology is preserved in the official names of such institutions in China.
CCNU is a key normal university directly administered by PRC Ministry of Education. Located in Wuhan, a major hub of transportation, it has a campus of over 2,000 mu with a construction area of more than 600,000 square meters on Guizishan, a hill bordering the East Lake and the South Lake. It has brilliant flowers and green wood all year round. With a serene environment, especially the fragrance of osmanthus flowers all over, the campus is an ideal place for study.
A hundred years of vicissitudes and hard work fostered this celebrated university. The predecessor of CCNU is the combination of Huazhong University, Zhonghua University(founded in 1912) and the Pedagogical College of Zhongyuan University(founded in 1949), with Huazhong University as the main part. Huazhong University was the largest and most influential mission university in South Central China, it developed from Wenhua Academy (the first college of mission school, changed name to Huazhong University in 1924) that was founded in 1903. In 1951, the public Huazhong University came into being after the Pedagogical College of Zhongyuan University merged with Huazhong University. Then, it was reorganized into Huazhong Higher Normal School in 1952 and later renamed Huazhong Teachers College in 1953. In 1985, the university was formally renamed as Central China Normal University and Deng Xiaoping, one of the founders of Zhongyuan University, inscribed the new name of the university. In 1993, President Jiang Zemin wrote an inscription for CCNU’s commitment to “Developing normal education and improving nationals’ quality".
|QS (World version)
QS (Asian version)
CCNU has made noticeable achievements in scientific research. Since the 7th Five-Year Plan was carried out, our teaching staff have been entrusted with a great many important scientific research projects such as national high-tech project 863,national "Torch Program"
CCNU carries on a wide range of international academic exchanges. It has regular academic links and cooperation with more than 20 universities, colleges and research institutes in America, Germany, Russia, Ukraine, France, Italy, Britain, Japan, Switzerland, Bulgaria, Brazil.
Foreign experts and teachers are regularly invited to teach at the university and many faculty members have been sent abroad for further study, visit or joint research. Most of them have returned home and become the backbone in teaching and research; a good number of them are active on international academic rostrum and have made admirable contributions to science, technology, culture and education exchanges between China and foreign nations. CCNU had set a goal to reshape itself to be comprehensive in curriculums and research-oriented with distinctive features. With boundless enthusiasm and enterprising spirit, the faculty and students of CCNU are determined to make greater progress o build CCNUU into a high-level university well-known both at home and abroad.
Schools and Departments
- Faculty of Education
- School of Chinese Language and Literature
- School of Law
- School of Economy and Business Administration
- School of Foreign Language & Culture
- School of Life Science
- School of Chemistry
- School of Resources
- School of Geography
- School of Mathematics and Statistics
- School of History
- School of Psychology
- School of Social Development and Public Policy
- School of Arts and Mass Media
- School of Environment
Central China Normal University has many different other majors that are not mentioned above.
- China University Center Ranking (Top 200 China University): 12th in China 
- 4icu World University Ranking: 596th (42nd in China) 
- Webometrics World University Ranking: 465nd (34th in China and 77th in Asia) 
- Rating of Chinese Normal Universities: 3rd 
- China Top 100 University Ranking: 40th 
- Humanities and Social Sciences overall ranking in China: 17th 
Notable students and alumni
- Yun Daiying (恽代英): was an early leader of the Communist Party of China.
- Song Jiaoren (宋教仁): was a Chinese republican revolutionary, political leader and a founder of the Kuomintang (KMT).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Central China Normal University.|
- http://www.china.org.cn/top10/2011-12/08/content_24105530_8.htm Top 10 normal universities in China
- http://www.hsv.se/download/18.1dbd1f9a120d72e05717ffe64/Official+Release+of+Chinese+University+Ranking+by+Disciplines+ Rankings by disciplines
- "QS World University Rankings (extracting Asian universities from the list for counting this position)". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2013. Retrieved July 7, 2014.
- "QS Asian University Rankings". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2014. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- "Welcome to Central China Normal University"