Hubbard High School (Chicago)
|Hubbard High School|
|6200 S. Hamlin Avenue
Chicago, Illinois, 60629
|School type||Public Secondary|
|School district||Chicago Public Schools|
|Principal||Nancy Marie Wiley|
|Athletics conference||Chicago Public League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
Gurdon S. Hubbard High School, is a public 4-year high school located in the West Lawn neighborhood on the southwest side of Chicago, Illinois, USA. It is part of the Chicago Public Schools system. The school is named for American fur trader and insurance underwriter Gurdon Saltonstall Hubbard.
As of 2012, Hubbard had a 62.8% five-year graduation rate.
Hubbard was one of 16 schools nation-wide selected by the College Board for inclusion in the EXCELerator School Improvement Model program beginning the 2007-2008 school year. The project was funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
IB Diploma Programme
Hubbard is an IB Diploma Programme High School. The program, which is a comprehensive and challenging pre-university program for academically advanced and highly motivated students in grades 11 and 12, was implemented at Hubbard in 1998. Students at this school usually take IB exams in May. In the last examination session, students completed the following exams: Biology SL, English A1 HL, History HL, Math.Studies SL, Spanish A HL, Theory Knowl. TK and Visual Arts SL.
Hubbard competes in the Chicago Public League (CPL) and is a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA). The school is also known for their successful football team. Other sports programs offered by the school include: Baseball, Bowling, Cheerleading, Chess, Cross Country, Golf, Pom-Pon, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Track, Volleyball, and Wrestling.
Students must wear white shirts and black bottoms. Students may also wear their class shirts or any shirt produced by a Hubbard club/organization.
Hubbard High School originally opened for the 1928/29 school year. In the late 1990s, Hubbard faced substantial overcrowding, but recent work has lowered its enrollment.
- Kelvin Hayden, football player who has played for the Indianapolis Colts and Atlanta Falcons and Chicago Bears of the National Football League
- Othyus Jeffers, professional basketball player
- Aaron Johnson, professional basketball player
- Nate Lyles, former football player for the New York Jets
- Frank Olivo, alderman of the 13th ward of the City of Chicago
- Michael Peña, actor
- Institution Summary, AdvancED, Retrieved 2012-07-11
- "Hubbard". http://www.hubbardhighschool.org/. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- "Hubbard High School". CPS. Retrieved 2013-04-15.
- "OAE". cpsoae.org. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- "CPSHubbardOverview". cps.edu. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- "APCourseLedger". apcourseaudit.epiconline.org. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- "DeptJROTC". chicagojrotc.com. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- IHSA Chicago (Hubbard)
- "MaxPreps". maxpreps.com. Retrieved 2012-04-12.