24 January 1917|
|Died||7 January 1994
|Years of service||1938 - 1945|
|Unit||StG 2 and Schlachtgeschwader 151|
|Commands held||6./StG 2|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Ritterkreuz mit Eichenlaub|
Hubert Pölz joined the Luftwaffe in 1938. He served on most of the German theatres of operations, taking part in the Polish Campaign, French Campaign, Battle of Britain, Siege of Malta and North African Campaign. On 24 June 1941 he sank HMS Auckland off Tobruk. In May 1942 he took command of 6 Staffel. During the later stage of the campaign in Tunisia in 1943 he was shot down and spent four months in hospital. Returning to combat operations he took part in the fighting on the Eastern Front. He later flew the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 as the Geschwader converted to the type. By the end of the war he was commanding I./Schlachtgeschwader 151. He surrendered with his unit to British forces, in Denmark, on 8 May 1945. Hubert Pölz went missing while swimming in Spain on 7 January 1994, he was never found. He was declared dead in 2002.
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (12 April 1941)
- 1st Class (18 October 1941)
- German Cross in Gold (25 September 1942)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 92.
- Brütting, Georg (1995). Das waren die deutschen Stuka-Asse 1939 – 1945 [These were the German Stuka Aces 1939 - 1945] (in German). Stuttgart, Germany: Motorbuch. ISBN 978-3-87943-433-6.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Ward, John. (2004). Hitler's Stuka Squadrons: The Ju 87 at war, 1936 - 1945. Eagles of War. London. ISBN 1-86227-246-8