The Hudson Reporter Assoc., L.P. is a newspaper chain based in Hoboken, New Jersey. It is the only weekly newspaper chain in Hudson County, and one of only two newspaper companies in this busy metropolitan area. The Hudson Reporter publications focus on local politics and community news. In addition to articles written by the staff, the papers print readers' letters to the editor. The oldest newspaper in the chain is the Hoboken Reporter, founded in 1983.
The Hudson Reporter is headquartered at 1400 Washington Street in Hoboken, though the Bayonne Community News, which is part of the same chain, is based in Bayonne. After both offices lost power during Hurricane Sandy in October/November 2012, the staff worked out of Palisades Medical Center.
The company was formed in the mid-1980s by Joseph Barry, founder of the development company Applied Housing, who bought the weekly Hoboken Pictorial and its group of local newspapers. As Barry's real estate holdings in Hudson County grew throughout the 1980s, he wanted the county to have its own chain of newspapers. However, in 1999, with the real estate market becoming even busier, Barry no longer had time to dedicate to the newspapers and sold his majority share in the company to his minority partners, general manager Lucha Malato and advertising director David Unger.
The chain and its writers have won numerous awards for investigative reporting, going beyond the norm for weekly newspapers. The company has become a training ground for reporters and writers in the New York area, having sent several on to The New York Times, the Associated Press, and other top publications. Other writers, like Editor-in-chief Caren Matzner (née Lissner) have published novels and written for TV shows.
The company publishes nine weekly community newspapers:
- Jersey City Reporter
- Hoboken Reporter
- Union City Reporter
- West New York Reporter
- Weehawken Reporter
- North Bergen Reporter
- Secaucus Reporter
- Bayonne Community News
- Hudson Current, an arts and entertainment publication
The company also publishes two magazines:
- Jersey City Magazine, printed twice annually
- Palisade, printed six times per year starting in February 2007
Until late 2006, the company published the Gateway Guide, a quarterly New Jersey tourism magazine.
- "About Us". Hudson Reporter. 2009. Retrieved November 9, 2012.
- "About this special edition". The Hudson Reporter. November 4, 2012. Page 1
- "Hudson Reporter chain expands Newspaper company purchases Bayonne Community News". The Hudson Reporter. February 6, 2004
- Ward, Alyson (August 13, 2003). "Five good chick lit titles". The Miami Herald.
- Genzlinger, Neil (August 1, 2003). "Jersey Road Signs and Random Profundities". The New York Times.
- Jersey City Magazine