Hugh Bigod, 3rd Earl of Norfolk
Arms of Bigod (dropped post-1269 by Roger Bigod, 5th Earl of Norfolk): Or, a cross gules
|Title||3rd Earl of Norfolk|
|Predecessor||Roger Bigod, 2nd Earl of Norfolk|
|Successor||Roger Bigod, 4th Earl of Norfolk|
|Parents||Roger Bigod, 2nd Earl of Norfolk
Ida de Tosny
He was born c. 1182, the eldest son of Roger Bigod, 2nd Earl of Norfolk by his wife Ida de Tosny.
Marriage & progeny
In late 1206 or early 1207, Hugh married Maud Marshal (1192 - 27 March 1248), daughter of William Marshal, 1st Earl of Pembroke (1147–1219), Marshal of England, by his wife Isabel de Clare, 4th Countess of Pembroke. They had four, or possibly five, children:
- Roger Bigod, 4th Earl of Norfolk (c. 1209-1270), died without progeny.
- Hugh Bigod (1211–1266), Justiciar of England. Married Joan de Stuteville, by whom he had issue.
- Isabel Bigod (c. 1212- 1250), married twice:
- Ralph Bigod (born c. 1215)
Contrary to the assertion of Frederick Lewis Weis, Ancestral Roots, there is no evidence for a fourth son called Simon Bigod. A man of that name appears as a witness to one of Earl Hugh's charters (Morris, HBII 2), but as the eighteenth name in a list of twenty, suggesting no close connection to the main branch of the family. He is also named among the knights who surrendered to King John at Framlingham Castle in 1216. He was a probably a descendant of Hugh or William Bigod, half-brothers to Earl Roger II Bigod.
Hugh died on 18 Feb 1225. Very soon after Hugh's death, his widow Maud re-married William de Warenne, 6th Earl of Surrey.
Hugh Bigod in fiction
Hugh Bigod and his wife [Mahelt] are the main characters in Elizabeth Chadwick's To Defy a King. They also appear as secondary characters in novels chronicling their parents such as The Time of Singing (UK: Sphere, 2008) published in the USA as For the King's Favor; The Greatest Knight; and The Scarlet Lion.
|Ancestors of Hugh Bigod, 3rd Earl of Norfolk|
- M. Morris, The Bigod Earls of Norfolk in the Thirteenth Century (Woodbridge, 2005)
- Cawley, Charles, Medieval Lands on Hugh Bigod, 3rd Earl of Norfolk, Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, retrieved August 2012
- Cawley, Charles, Medieval Lands on Isabel Bigod, Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, retrieved August 2012
Hugh Bigod, 3rd Earl of NorfolkBorn: c. 1182 Died: 1225
|Earl of Norfolk