Until 2013, Collins was the Professor of English Law and former Head of the Law Department at the London School of Economics. He is also the general editor for the Modern Law Review, the most widely read British academic law journal. Collins was educated at Pembroke College in Oxford University (later teaching at Brasenose College) and Harvard University before joining the LSE in 1991.
The LSE Law Department was rated first in the Research Assessment Exercise of 2008 while under Professor Collins' leadership.
In 2009-10 he was based in New York as Global Visiting Professor of Law at NYU.
- European Civil Code: The Way Forward (2008)
- (with Keith Ewing and Aileen McColgan) Labour Law, Text, Cases and Materials (2005) Hart Publishing ISBN 1-84113-362-0
- Employment Law (2003) Clarendon
- Contract law: Law in Context (2003) Butterworths
- Regulating Contracts (1999) Oxford University Press
- Justice in Dismissal (1992) Oxford University Press
- Marxism and Law (1982) Oxford University Press
- British Academy page
- LSE staff experts' page
- Podcast of Labour Law lecture by Professor Collins
- eBook version of Regulating Contracts