Hugh Hefner: Playboy, Activist and Rebel
|Hugh Hefner: Playboy, Activist and Rebel|
|Directed by||Brigitte Berman|
|Produced by||Victor Solnicki
|Music by||James Mark Stewart|
|Edited by||Brigitte Berman
|Distributed by||Phase 4|
|Running time||124 minutes|
Hugh Hefner: Playboy, Activist and Rebel is a 2009 documentary film directed by Brigitte Berman about Hugh Hefner, creator of Playboy magazine. Berman previously directed the Academy Award-winning documentary Artie Shaw: Time Is All You've Got.
The documentary includes clips and interviews with:
- Hugh Hefner
- Josh White
- Dizzy Gillespie
- Sammy Davis Jr
- Joan Baez
- Jim Brown
- Dick Cavett
- Pat Boone
- Susan Brownmiller
- Gene Simmons
- Jenny McCarthy
- Mike Wallace
- Dick Gregory
- Tony Curtis
- Shannon Tweed
- Jesse Jackson
- Tony Bennett
- James Caan
- David Steinberg
- George Lucas
- Ruth Westheimer
- Bill Maher
- Pete Seeger
It was also produced by Berman, along with Peter Raymont and Victor Solnicki. Neither Hefner nor his company had any formal role in the making of the documentary though he gave the filmmakers considerable access. The documentary filmed from 10 January 2008 to 31 August 2008 in Ontario.
Release and reception
The film received mixed reviews from critics. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 59% of 54 critics have given the film a positive review, with a rating average of 6.4 out of 10. Metacritic, which assigns a weighted average score out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, gives the film a score of 55 based on 16 reviews.
- Puente, Maria (28 July 2010). "Hugh Hefner Documentary Reveals More Than Pretty Faces". USA Today.
- Sherman, Betsy (10 August 2010). "Review: Hugh Hefner: Playboy, Activist and Rebel". The Boston Phoenix.
- Corliss, Richard (31 July 2010). "Hugh Hefner Documentary: Airbrushed". Time (Time Warner). Retrieved 5 September 2010.
- Klein, Andy (28 July 2010). "New documentary paints an airbrushed portrait of Hugh Hefner". The Brand X Daily. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 5 September 2010.[dead link]
- "Production in Ontario 2008" (PDF). Ontario Media Development Corporation. Archived from the original on 4 September 2010. Retrieved 4 September 2010.
- Goldstein, Gary (30 July 2010). "Movie review: 'Hugh Hefner: Playboy, Activist and Rebel'". Los Angeles Times. Tribune Company. Retrieved 5 September 2010.
- "Hugh Hefner: Playboy, Activist and Rebel (2010)". Box Office Mojo. Amazon.com. Retrieved 1 August 2010.
- "Hugh Hefner: Playboy, Activist, and Rebel (2009)". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved 16 October 2011.
- "Hugh Hefner: Playboy, Activist and Rebel Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 16 October 2011.