Hugh C. Howey (born 1975) is an American writer, known best for the science fiction series Wool, part of which he published independently through Amazon.com's Kindle Direct Publishing system. Howey was raised in Monroe, North Carolina and prior to publishing his books, he worked as a yacht captain, roofer, and audio technician.
He began the series in 2011, initially writing Wool as a stand-alone short story. His first book was initially published with a small press. After that, he decided to publish through Amazon.com's Kindle Direct Publishing system, because of the freedom of self-publishing. After the series grew in popularity, he began to write more entries for it. Howey began soliciting international rights in 2012, including signing a deal for Brazil. Film rights to the series were sold to 20th Century Fox; Lionsgate also expressed interest.
In 2012, Howey signed a deal with Simon and Schuster to distribute Wool to book retailers across the US and Canada. The deal allowed Howey to continue to sell the book online exclusively. He notably turned down seven figure offers in favor of a mid-six figure sum, in return for maintaining e-book rights.
Novels and novellas
The Bern Saga
Silo Series Short Stories
These are part of the The Apocalypse Triptych collection of short stories.
- "'Wool' author Hugh Howey chimes in on print, digital, self-publishing". Tampa Bay. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "Breaking Out: An Interview with Hugh Howey". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- "Hugh Howey Goes From Bookstore Clerk to Self-Publishing Superstar". Wired. Retrieved 4 May 2013.
- Wecks, Erik. "Hugh Howey Interview Part 2: A Spoiler-Filled Discussion of The Wool Omnibus". Wired. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Wy, Denise. "The WOOL Success: An Interview with Hugh Howey". Successilism. Retrieved 28 May 2013.
- Wecks, Erik. "Hugh Howey Interview Part 1: Science Fiction, Indie Writing, and Success". Wired. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Deahl, Rachel. "Self-Made Bestseller Weighs Traditional Deals". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Fleming, Mike. "20th Century Fox Spins ‘Wool’ For Scott Free And Film Rites". Deadline. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Alter, Alexandra (7 March 2013). "Sci-Fi's Underground Hit". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- Gilliand, Blu. "Book Review: 'The End is Nigh' Edited by John Joseph Adams and Hugh Howey". Fearnet. Retrieved 29 March 2014.
- Edidin, Rachel. "Exclusive Excerpt: Heartbreaking Stories From the End of the World". Wired. Retrieved 29 March 2014.
- Newitz, Annalee. "Does the apocalypse come in three stages?". io9. Retrieved 29 March 2014.
- Bradford, K. Tempest. "io9 Newsstand: Best Stories of the Week for September 15 - 20". io9. io9. Retrieved 12 October 2014.
- Official website
- Hugh Howey at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Hugh Howey. "Story Behind Dust". Upcoming4.me. Online essay.
- Hugh Howey at Library of Congress Authorities, with 3 catalog records