|Born||Hugh Robert Armstrong Schofield
19 August 1961
Cardiff, Glamorgan, Wales, UK
|Education||Clifton College, Bristol
St John's College, Oxford
|Occupation||Journalist, editor, author|
|Known for||BBC Paris Correspondent
Fmr. BBC North America Correspondent
Fmr. BBC Middle East Correspondent
Journalist & freelance documentary presenter
Hugh Robert Armstrong Schofield (born 19 August 1961) is the Paris Correspondent for BBC News, the main newsgathering department of the BBC, and its 24-hour television news channels BBC World News and BBC News Channel, as well as the BBC's domestic television and radio channels and the BBC World Service. He was formerly a BBC correspondent across Europe, the Middle East and United States, with over 25 years' experience in reporting for BBC radio and television. He became BBC Paris Correspondent in 1996.
In September 1974, after leaving prep school, Schofield was educated at Clifton College, a boarding independent school in the suburb of Clifton in the port city of Bristol in South West England. He entered the school at the age of thirteen as a scholar, where he boarded at School House, and left in summer 1978. The following year, he went up to St John's College at the University of Oxford, where he studied Arabic and Turkish.
Schofield's older brother, Philip, was two years his senior at Clifton College, but entered in the same year (1974), later becoming an Exhibitioner in Modern Languages at Christ Church at the University of Oxford. Schofield's younger sister, Moira, achieved first class honours in Italian at Trinity College, Dublin, in 1985.
Life and career
Schofield joined the BBC in the 1980s after studying Arabic and Turkish at Oxford University. He is the BBC's former Correspondent in the Middle East, Spain, the United States and the former Yugoslavia, and has worked for the BBC in Paris since 1996. He appears regularly on radio, television and the Internet, covering day-to-day French news and providing analysis of politics and the economy. From 2000 to 2008, he was Chief correspondent in Paris at the English Language Service of the Paris-based Agence France-Presse news agency.
- Births, Marriages & Deaths Index of England & Wales lists birthplace as Cardiff, Glamorgan. Publisher: General Register Office. Retrieved: 12 March, 2013.
- Clifton College Register 1962-1978. Page no: 360. Entry no: 17113. Publisher: The Council of Clifton College. Published: October 1979. Retrieved: 7 March 2013.
- Clifton College Register 1962-1978. Page no: 360. Entry no: 17112. Publisher: The Council of Clifton College. Published: October 1979. Retrieved: 7 March 2013.
- Hugh Schofield BBC Correspondents Map. Retrieved: 10 December, 2012.
- The Parisian apartment code of conduct BBC News. Published: 23 April, 2011. Retrieved: 10 December, 2012.
- Hugh Schofield EU Conferences - Information-Registration. Retrieved 10 December, 2012.
- Hugh Schofield - Biography Plateform International. Retrieved: 10 December, 2012.