Human Rights Without Frontiers
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014)|
|Legal status||Association without lucrative purpose|
|Purpose||Advocacy of democracy, the rule of law, social justice, and human rights|
|Affiliations||European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA)|
Human Rights Without Frontiers (HRWF) is a non-governmental organization, registered since 1989 as an association without lucrative purpose in Belgium, that «focuses on research, analysis and monitoring of a wide range of human rights concerns in many countries around the world».
Founded in 1989 at Brussels (Belgium) and originally named "Brussels-Human Rights" ("Bruxelles-Droits de l'Homme" in French), this organization was formed by several defenders of Human Rights with the aim of promoting and defending human rights, the principles of the rule of law and democracy and published a bimonthly journal in French Droits de l’homme sans frontières. It later adopt the name of its magazine : "Droits de l’homme sans frontières - Human Rights Without Frontiers".
The association is chaired by Willy Fautré, member of the International Consortium for Law and Religion Studies (ICLARS).
In 1997, it was associated with the International Helsinki Federation for Human Rights, dissolved in 2007. In 2001, it was included within an international group "Human Rights Without Frontiers International", created with the aim to internationalize its action.
Human Rights Without Frontiers International
In order to broaden its scope and consolidate branches located in different countries, a new nonprofit organization was formed in 2001 under the name "Human Rights Without Frontiers International" or the abbreviated form "HRWF Int'l".
It gathers its principal subsidiaries "Human Rights Without Frontiers" in Belgium, China, Nepal and the United States, and other associate members such as the association "Women's Rights Without Frontiers" in the United States.
Its activities are mainly monitoring, research, and analysis in the field of human rights as well as promotion of democracy and the rule of law on national and international level.
The association HRWF Int'l publishes newsletters, consisting of reports by HRWF correspondents or newspaper articles translated into English if necessary, by topics:
- Freedom of Religion or Belief
- Democracy, Rule of Law and Human Rights
- Trafficking in Human Beings and Sexual Exploitation
These news are aggregated in an annual report by theme and country, available to the public on its official website.
Research papers are sometimes written by the organization in English or French to be published in academic journals or on the website :
- Handbook of Advocacy for Indigenous Status (2004)
- Overview of UN Mechanisms Related to Indigenous Peoples (2004)
- Campaign against Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia (2009)
- Religious Intolerance in Turkey (2010)
- The history of Jehovah's Witnesses in Belgium (2010)
- Christians in Bahrain (2012)
Other general policy and advocacy papers are prepared, to be presented at conferences or to official bodies such as the OSCE :
- The UN Human Rights System & Freedom of Religion or Belief: Gaps & Perspectives
- Sects or Religions? A Human Rights Perspective
- Freedom of Religion or Belief in China in 2012
- OSCE: Statement on Intolerance in Russia
- OSCE: Denial of Chaplains to JW in France
- Cults and religious freedom around the world
- Japan: Abduction and deprivation of freedom for the purpose of forceful religious de-conversion
- China: Revision of the criminal law, a step in the right direction but...
- Afghanistan: The Euro-Atlantic community's responsibility to a long-term commitment to human rights
- Droits de l’homme sans frontières - Human Rights Without Frontiers, ASBL, BE 0436.787.535, 'Moniteur belge', 05/04/2006
- About HRWF International
- Droits de l’homme sans frontières, editor: Willy Fautré, ISSN 0776-0256.
- Human Rights Without Frontiers International, ASBL, BE 0473.809.960, 'Moniteur belge', 21/12/2004