Hunan Agricultural University
|Hunan Agricultural University|
|Latin: Universitas Agriculturae Hunanensis|
|Motto||朴诚 奋勉 求实 创新 (Chinese)
Integritas Industria Veritas et Innovatio (Latin)
|Motto in English||Integrity Industry Verity and Innovation|
|Location||Changsha, Hunan, China|
|Campus||Residential, 2.27 km² (560 acres)|
Founded in 1951, the University was incorporated by two independent colleges under the name "Hunan Agricultural College". Since Hunan was an agricultural powerhouse for the country, Mao Zedong, the founding father of the People's Republic of China, inscribed the school's name on its entrance sign. It changed to its current name in 1994.
The institution began with a focus on training students in various agricultural disciplines. After more than a half century's development, the school has evolved into a renowned comprehensive university. In 1978, HAU started to award master's degrees. As of 2007, more than 50,000 students from 31 provinces across China study there, including 24,000 undergraduates, 26,000 continuing education students, 3000 graduate and doctoral students.
Organization and administration 
The current President of the University is Qingming Zhou, who has served since 2000. The University has 7 vice presidents. It does not have the title provost, instead, dean of teaching affairs is used.
A semester system is used - i.e., the academic year is divided into two terms. The first (fall) semester lasts from September to January; the second (spring) semester from February to June. Each consists of 18 teaching weeks, finals are generally held in week 19.
The Hunan Agricultural University is divided into 20 colleges:
HUNAU offers 69 bachelors, 101 masters and 52 doctorate degree programs. Also, it contains 7 postdoctoral research institutes, 1 national research center and 3 national engineering laboratories.
There are 1198 full-time faculty, including 3 fellows of Chinese Academy of Engineering, 226 doctoral advisors, 432 master advisors, 234 professors and 515 associate professors. Among them, 4 were awarded the title of National Outstanding Experts. The University also participates in Changjiang Scholars Program, 100 Talents Program and Recruitment Program of Global Experts.
Since the ninth five year plan, HAU has been awarded 182 prizes, 13 of them were the national prizes, 169 were ministerial or provincial level prizes. In recent years, the University has undertaken over 145 research projects at national level and 918 projects at provincial level.
In 2007, the university has 16 enterprises of sole proprietorship or proprietorship. The total fund is 40 million RMB, and the annual income reaches 109 million RMB.
The University is situated in the eastern suburbs of Changsha, with views of the city skyline. It has a single campus, bounded on the north by Longping Road, an extension of the busy thoroughfare - Renmin Road(E.); on the south by Liuyanghe River; on the east by lakes and the west by farmland.
The campus has eleven numbered academic buildings and several administrative buildings. There are four large-scale residence areas: Fengze, Zhilan, Donghu, and Jin'an. Each area has about a dozen halls. The residence areas are coed but halls are single sex. Most of the rooms in Fengze, Donghu and Jin'an accommodate four people with basic facilities. Lights out time is at 11:00 p.m. in all areas for undergraduates. Some students, both undergrad and postgrad, have chosen to rent in apartment buildings adjacent to campus for better convenience and environment.
Notable people 
- Zachary Huang, 1977 - Associate Professor of Entomology, Michigan State University
- Howard Q. Zhang, 1977 - Professor of Food Science, Ohio State University
- Guo-Liang Wang, 1978 - Professor of Plant Pathology; Director of the Wang Laboratory, Ohio State University
- Jizhong Zhou, 1981 - Presidential Professor, University of Oklahoma; Research Scientist at Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Ming-Shun Chen, 1981 - Professor of Entomology, Kansas State University; Research Scientist at USDA-ARS
- Longxi Yu, 1977 - Research Associate, Plant Breeding and Genetics, Cornell University
- Gan Lin, 1981 - former dean; Deputy Governor of Hunan Province
- Deng Xiaogang, 1985 - former Vice President, Tibet Autonomous Region
- Chen Run'er, 1983 - Secretary General, City of Changsha
- Zhanyuan Du, 1978 - Deputy Minister of Education, China
- Jun Ping Zhang, 1981 - Senior Vice President at QuadraMed Corporation
- Zhigang Jiang, 1977 - Professor at Chinese Academy of Sciences; author of several books on biodiversity
- Xingyao Xiong, 1981 - Permanent Post Holder at Department of Agriculture and Agri-Food(Canada)
- Yuan Longping - father of hybrid rice.
- Zongdao Li - father of ramie textile
- Ziming Liu - world famous expert in grape science
- Fengsun Li - world famous entomologist
- Jidong Gu - visiting professor, co-author of the textbook Environmental Microbiology (Wiley-Blackwell)
- Songling Sun - member of the editorial board, International Journal of Agriculture and Biological Engineering
- Chuanxin Sun - research scientist at Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
- Zhiyong Mao - former secretary general of Jiangxi Province
- "", A brief introduction - Hunan Agricultural University, Accessed May. 11, 2008.