Hungarians in Germany
There are around 120,000 Hungarians in Germany. Hungarians have emigrated here since the Middle Ages, with an increase after World War I. Today, around 75% of this population live in the states of Bavaria, Baden-Württemberg and Hessen.
Major population changes:
- About 30,000 arrived after 1945
- About 25,000 arrived after the Hungarian Revolution of 1956
- 25,000 Gastarbeiter from Yugoslavia after 1960
- Around 5,000 migrants from Czechoslovakia after the Prague Spring of 1968
- Approx. 30,000 Hungarians from Transylvania after 1975
- About 15,000 fleeing communism in Hungary
- 15,000 moving to East Germany (until the 1990 German reunification)
In 2006/2007, Hungary presented its country and culture in Germany with a whole series of cultural events including the exhibition "Germans in Hungary – Hungarians in Germany. European Lives".
- "General Information - Hungarians in Germany". Association of Hungarian Organisations in Germany (in Hungarian). Retrieved 2009-10-25.[dead link]
- "Germans and Hungarians launch "Europe's Ark"". Press and Information Office of the German Government. 05/07/2007. Retrieved 2009-10-25. Check date values in:
- Association of Hungarian Organisations in Germany (Hungarian), (German)
- Collegium Hungaricum Berlin (Hungarian), (German)
- Irány Németország (Hungarian)