|Single by Jason Michael Carroll|
|from the album Growing Up Is Getting Old|
|Released||June 29, 2009|
|Format||CD Single, music download|
|Jason Michael Carroll singles chronology|
"Hurry Home" is a song written by Zane Williams, and first recorded by him on a 2005 album of the same name. Country music singer Jason Michael Carroll later recorded it on his 2009 album Growing Up Is Getting Old, releasing it as that album's second single in June 2009. The song is his fifth Top 40 hit on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart.
"Hurry Home" is a mid-tempo country ballad mostly accompanied by acoustic guitar, with piano and electric guitar flourishes. Its lyrics describe a father who is very worried about his daughter, who ran away from home. In the first verse, the father records on his answering machine a message to tell her that he misses her and asks for her to "hurry home."
In the second verse, the father receives a call from "an old friend", who had just heard about his missing daughter. The friend told the father that if he saw his daughter, he would tell her to "hurry home." In the third verse, many days have flown by since the father has called his daughter, and in the song's bridge, the daughter has been abandoned by "her so-called friends" outside a bar in New York City, so she decides to call her father to tell him that she has decided to come home.
The music video was directed by Chris Hicky.
Matt Bjorke of Roughstock gave a positive review, saying that he considered it well-suited to Carroll's voice, also saying, " Anyone who is alive has felt that kind of limitless love be it as a child or a parent and that’s what makes this song a winner as it tells a gentile tale of the best kind of love. Country songs are best when they deal with human emotion and that’s what 'Hurry Home' does here."
"Hurry Home" debuted at number 56 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart dated July 11, 2009, and reached a peak of number 14 on the chart in February 2010. It also peaked at number 99 on the Billboard Hot 100.
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||14|
|US Billboard Hot 100||99|
- "Jason Michael Carroll Releasing New Single, "Hurry Home"". CMT.com. 2009-06-22. Retrieved 2009-08-25.
- Bjorke, Matt (2009-07-15). "Jason Michael Carroll — "Hurry Home"". Roughstock. Retrieved 2009-10-23.
- John Lennon Song Contest website Page for 2005 winners. Accessed October 5, 2009.
- July 18, 2006, "MACY GRAY GIVES CASH AWAY: Singer combines with NAMM to encourage aspiring musicians." Found at Enterntainment Magazine website and EurWeb website. In 2006, Zane won Best Folk Award at the 2nd Annual IAMA (International Acoustic Music Awards) with his song "Hurry Home". Both accessed October 5, 2009.
- Morris, Edward (2009-07-11). "Brad Paisley's American Saturday Night Claims Top Album Slot". CMT.com. Retrieved 2009-08-25.
- "Jason Michael Carroll Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Jason Michael Carroll.
- "Jason Michael Carroll Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Jason Michael Carroll.