|Single by Blue|
|from the album Roulette|
|Released||4 January 2013|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Writer(s)||Alexander Zuckowski, Martin "Fly" Fliegenschmidt, Jez Ashurst, David Jost|
|Producer(s)||Robin Grubert, Alexander Zuckowski, Martin Fliegenschmidt, Kiko Masbaum|
|Blue singles chronology|
"Hurt Lovers" is a song recorded by English boy band Blue for their fourth studio album, Roulette (2013). It was released in Austria, Germany and Switzerland as the album's lead single on 4 January 2013, three weeks prior to the release of the album. It was Blue's first official single in two years, following the release of their Eurovision 2011 entry, "I Can", in May 2011.
"Hurt Lovers" was released in the United Kingdom on 22 April 2013. It charted at number 70 on the UK Singles Chart, becoming their lowest-charting single to date in the UK.
Blue began recording new material in July 2010, three months after they first got back together, after a five-year break from the music industry. In an interview, the band claimed that "Hurt Lovers" was one of the first tracks they recorded after reuniting, and that it was an obvious choice for the band's reunion single. The track was written by Alexander Zuckowski, Martin "Fly" Fliegenschmidt, Jez Ashurst, and David Jost.
Blue first premiered "Hurt Lovers" during a concert in China on 22 June 2012. It received positive reception across Asia, before being officially premiered in Germany on 6 October 2012. Thus, the creators of the film Schlussmacher approached the band, and asked if the song could be used as the official theme for the film. Thus, the track received an early release in Germany on 4 January 2013, before being released across the world later in the year. In promotion of the single, Blue performed it live on The Voice of Romania in December 2012, as well as embarking on an acoustic radio tour across six cities in Germany. They also performed it on The Late Late Show in Ireland on 26 April 2013.
Two versions of the music video have been filmed. The first was filmed towards the end of October 2012, and preview images released to the band's official Facebook page show the band performing the track on the edge of a grassy cliff, with Lee Ryan and Duncan James in puffy fur coats, and Anthony Costa and Simon Webbe wearing shirts and ties. This version of the video was released on 15 March 2013, as the video to accompany the release of the single on the British market.
The second version of the video, filmed towards the end of November 2012, was released to Blue's official YouTube account on 13 December 2012, at a total length of three-minutes and fifty-six seconds. The video it set in a giant shopping centre, where Blue have a chance meeting with the stars of the film Schluss Macher. The video also features a number of clips from the film, intertwinned with the footage of Blue. This version of the video was filmed exclusively for the German market.
- Digital download
- "Hurt Lovers" - 3:54
- "Risk It All" - 3:43
- "Hurt Lovers" (TroyBoi Remix) - 3:57
- "Hurt Lovers" (BootSlap's Club Mix) - 6:05
- "Hurt Lovers" (Video) - 3:54
- German CD single
- "Hurt Lovers" - 3:54
- "Risk It All" - 3:43
Credits and personnel
- Alexander Zuckowski – songwriter, producer, drum programming, guitar, piano
- Martin "Fly" Fliegenschmidt – songwriter, co-producer, guitar
- Jez Ashurst – songwriter
- David Jost – songwriter
- Robin Grubert – producer, keyboards, programmed by
- Kiko Masbaum – co-producer, drums, keyboards, mixer
- Boris Matchin – strings
- Stefan Pintev – strings
- Rodrigo Reichel – strings
- Sascha Bühren – mastering
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||27|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||89|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||7|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||70|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||22|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||70|
|Germany||4 January 2013||CD, digital download||Island Records|
|United Kingdom||21 April 2013||Digital download|
- Roulette: Amazon.de: Musik
- Fındıkoğlu, Tuğçe (7 February 2013). "Blue is back with a brand new album after a 10-year-gap". Eurovisonary. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- [dead link]
- "Blue - Tijdlijnfoto's". Facebook. 10 December 2012. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- "Blue - Tijdlijnfoto's". Facebook. 9 November 2012. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- iTunes - Music - Hurt Lovers [Special Version] - EP by Blue
- Hurt Lovers (2-Track): Amazon.de: Musik
- Roulette (liner notes). Blue. Island Records. 2013.
- "Austriancharts.at – Blue – Hurt Lovers" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Blue – Hurt Lovers" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Chartverfulgong > Blue > Hurt Lovers – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archive Chart: 2013-04-28". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "Swisscharts.com – Blue – Hurt Lovers". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Blue: Artist Chart History" UK Singles Chart.
- "Hurt Lovers - Blue". iTunes Store (Apple Inc.). Retrieved 7 April 2013.