Hush Hush (Alexis Jordan song)
|Single by Alexis Jordan|
|from the album Alexis Jordan|
|Released||June 10, 2011|
|Recorded||Roc the Mic Studios,
(New York, United States);
The Bunker Studios,
|Label||StarRoc, Roc Nation, Columbia|
|Writer(s)||Autumn Rowe, Petr Brdičko, Mikkel S. Eriksen, Tor Erik Hermansen, Sandy Wilhelm|
|Producer||Stargate, Sandy Vee|
|Alexis Jordan singles chronology|
"Hush Hush" is a song by American recording artist Alexis Jordan, taken from her self-titled debut album. It was released as the album's third single on June 10, 2011. The dance-pop song was written by Autumn Rowe, Petr Brdičko, Stargate and Sandy Vee. Alexis called the song "feisty" and that it was a song that "unleashes a fiery side of her personality".
Speaking in May 2011 to urban writer Pete Lewis of Blues & Soul, Jordan described the lyrical background to the song: "It's really dealing with the situation where - if you've been hurt, or someone's treated you wrong or cheated on you in a relationship - you're basically saying 'Be quiet! I don't wanna hear it! I'm gonna move ON!'... So what I particularly liked about the song is that it's a very powerful statement for anybody who's been in that kind of situation."
"Hush Hush" is written by Autumn Rowe, Petr Brdičko, StarGate and Sandy Vee, and it was produced by Stargate and Sandy Vee. When premiering the song with Digital Spy, Jordan discussed the song. "The thing I love about this track is that it has a dance beat that is irresistible. You can't not dance to it! It's also quite fierce and feisty, but in a fun and positive way." Discussing the recording process of the record, she insisted: "It was a very calm and fun process. I was always in the studio smiling! It was something that I felt so blessed to be doing - it never felt like a chore. I am thankful to the whole team around me though, we mesh very well together."
BBC Music described the production as "clattery", while praising the strength and soul in Jordan's vocals as "empowering". Lewis Corner of Digital Spy gave the song four stars out of five and wrote, ""Hush, hush, hush/ You know I'm coming for ya/ Tough, tough, tough," she threatens over a relentless Stargate-helmed disco riff and dance beats that pack more camp oomph than a Pineapple Dance Studios session with Louie Spence." 4Music's David Griffiths called the song "another dancefloor-friendly pop track that will have you on your feet in seconds."
The song peaked at number 36 in Ireland, and 66 in the UK from strong downloads from the album, almost one month before the official release.
The music video for the song was uploaded to YouTube on 6 May, 2011 and lasts four minutes and six seconds. The music video was directed by Clifton Bell.
Credits and personnel
- Autumn Rowe – songwriter
- StarGate (Mikkel S. Eriksen and Tor Erik Hermansen) – songwriter, producer and instrumentation
- Sandy Vee – songwriter, producer, recording, mixing and instrumentation
- Petr Brdičko - songwriter
- Mikkel S. Eriksen – recording
- Phil Tan – mixing
- Damien Lewis – additional and assistant engineering
- Tom Coyne – mastering
Credits adapted from Alexis Jordan album booklet.
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||12|
|Poland (Dance Top 50)||50|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||66|
|Australia||June 10, 2011||Digital download|
|United Kingdom||June 12, 2011|
|Taiwan||June 22, 2011|
- Alexis Jordan interview by Pete Lewis, 'Blues & Soul' May 2011
- (liner notes). "Alexis Jordan". Alexis Jordan. 88697845642.
- Copsey, Robert (24 February 2011). "Alexis Jordan reveals "feisty" album track". Digital Spy. UK: Hachette Filipacchi. Retrieved 21 May 2011.
- Shaw, Natalie (1 March 2011). "BBC - Music - Review of Alexis Jordan - Alexis Jordan". BBC Music. Retrieved 21 May 2011.
- Corner, Lewis (2 June 2011). "Alexis Jordan: 'Hush Hush' - Music Singles Review - Digital Spy". Digital Spy. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- Griffiths, David (9 May 2011). "Alexis Jordan - Hush Hush - 4Music". 4Music. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Hush Hush (Remixes) by Alexis Jordan - Download Hush Hush (Remixes) on iTunes". iTunes Store. Retrieved 11 June 2011.
- "Hush Hush - EP by Alexis Jordan - Download Hush Hush - EP on iTunes". iTunes Store. Retrieved 12 June 2011.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Alexis Jordan search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Dance Top 50.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201126 into search.
- "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart.
- "Columbia Records UK › Releases › Alexis Jordan - Hush Hush (Single)". Columbia Records UK. Sony Music Entertainment UK Ltd. Retrieved 20 May 2011.