Hustle (1975 film)
|Directed by||Robert Aldrich|
|Produced by||Robert Aldrich|
|Written by||Steve Shagan|
|Music by||Frank De Vol|
|Edited by||Michael Luciano|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Release dates||December 25, 1975|
|Running time||120 min.|
|Box office||$10,390,000 (rentals)|
Hustle is a 1975 American neo-noir crime film directed by Robert Aldrich and starring Burt Reynolds, Catherine Deneuve, Ben Johnson, Paul Winfield, Eileen Brennan, Eddie Albert and Ernest Borgnine, which was released in 1975.
When the body of a young woman is found on an isolated beach, Lieutenant Phil Gaines and his partner, Sergeant Louis Belgrave, are the weary and bitter LAPD detectives assigned to the homicide investigation. They conclude, with the support of the coroner's report, that the victim, a hooker and known drug user named Gloria Hollinger, committed suicide using pills.
The commanding officer, Santuro, tells them to close the case. When the detectives talk to the family about the death they omit two facts about the case. That just prior to her death Gloria attended a party at the home of Leo Sellers, a rich, powerful, but corrupt, local attorney and that Gloria had large quantities of semen in her stomach, vagina and rectum indicating that she had apparently engaged in a variety of sexual acts with numerous partners just prior to her demise.
Her father, Marty Hollinger, a headstrong veteran of the Korean Conflict, does not accept the official report and attempts to locate the possible criminal involvement with his own investigation. He discovers the connection to Sellers, who is also a regular costumer of Phil's girlfriend, the French prostitute Nicole Britton.
- Burt Reynolds - Lieutenant Phil Gaines
- Catherine Deneuve - Nicole Britton
- Ben Johnson - Marty Hollinger
- Paul Winfield - Sergeant Louis Belgrave
- Eileen Brennan - Paula Hollinger
- Eddie Albert - Leo Sellers
- Ernest Borgnine - Santuro
- Jack Carter - Herbie Dalitz
- Colleen Brennan - Gloria Hollinger
- James Hampton - Bus Driver
- David Spielberg - Bellamy
- Catherine Bach - Peggy Summers
- Alain Silver and James Ursini, Whatever Happened to Robert Aldrich?, Limelight, 1995 p 296
- Alain Silver and James Ursini, Whatever Happened to Robert Aldrich?, Limelight, 1995 p 39.
- Top 20 Films of 1975 by Domestic Revenue. Box Office Report via Internet Archive. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- "BFI : Film & TV Database : Hustle". BFI. Retrieved August 7, 2010.
- "Hustle (1975)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2014-02-01.