|Traded as||SEHK: 0013
OTC Pink: HUWHY
|Founder(s)||John Duflon Hutchison|
Victoria, Hong KongAdmiralty (near Central)
|Key people||Sir Li Ka-shing (Chairman)|
|Products||Ports and related services; property and hotels; retail; energy; infrastructure; telecommunications, finance & investment|
|Revenue||HK$389.50 billion (2011)|
|Net income||HK$56.01 billion (2011)|
|Owner(s)||Cheung Kong Holdings|
Hutchison Whampoa Limited (HWL) is an investment holding company based in Hong Kong. It is a Fortune 500 company and one of the largest companies listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. HWL is an international corporation with a diverse array of holdings which includes the world's biggest port and telecommunication operations in 14 countries and run under the 3 brand. Its business also includes retail, property development and infrastructure. It is 49.97% owned by the Cheung Kong Group.
Originally Hutchison Whampoa was two separate companies, both founded in the 19th century. Hong Kong and Whampoa Dock was established in 1863, by British merchant John Duflon Hutchison, and Hutchison International was formed in 1877.
In the 1960s, Hutchison International – under Colonel Sir Douglas Clague (1917–1981) – gained a controlling interest of Hong Kong and Whampoa Dock, and in 1977 Hutchison acquired all of Hong Kong and Whampoa Dock, creating Hutchison Whampoa Limited.
Although Hutchison Whampoa had a large portfolio of valuable real estate interests, in docks and retail ventures, the company eventually ran into trouble. It was rescued by The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation, with HSBC taking a 22% stake in the company and ensuring that Clague was replaced.
In March 2011, Hutchison Port Holdings Trust (HPHT) announced that the company would IPO through Singapore Exchange for about US$5.4 billion. This would be the largest offering in South East Asia and surpass Petronas Chemicals offering of about $4.1 billion.
HWL currently operates in 54 countries and employs around 230,000 staff worldwide. The company has six core businesses:
- Ports and Related Services
- Property and Hotels
- Energy, Infrastructure, Investments and Others
- Video Delivery Solutions
HWL operates in businesses related to:
- Ports and Related Services: Hutchison Port Holdings (HPH) operates across Europe, the Americas, Asia, the Middle East and Africa. It operates in five of the seven busiest container ports in the world, handling 13% of the world's container traffic. Hutchison Whampoa operates container terminals in Panama, as well as Mexico and other parts of the Americas.
- Property and Hotels: From office buildings in Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, to luxury residential properties in the United Kingdom, Hutchison Whampoa Properties Limited develops and invests in real estate. Together with Cheung Kong Holdings, HWL has set up a joint-venture company, Harbour Plaza Hotel Management (International) Limited to operate and manage hotels under the portfolio of the Hutchison Property division.
- Retail: A.S. Watson & Co., Limited (ASW), HWL's retail arm, operates its flagship retail chains in Asia such as Watson's, PARKnSHOP supermarket, TASTE food galleria, GOURMET boutique style fine food hall, GREAT Food Hall, Fortress electrical appliances store, Watson's Wine Cellar and Nuance-Watson duty-free operator. In Europe, ASW's retail network comprises health and beauty chains: DC, Drogas, Kruidvat, Rossmann, Savers, Superdrug, Trekpleister, Spektr and Watson's, as well as luxury perfumeries and cosmetics retail brands: Marionnaud, ICI PARIS XL and The Perfume Shop. A.S. Watson is the world's largest health and beauty retailer.
- Energy, Infrastructure, Investments and Others: Cheung Kong Infrastructure (CKI), HWL's infrastructure arm, is a diversified infrastructure company with businesses in transportation, energy, infrastructure materials, water plants and related operations. HWL has an interest in Hongkong Electric Holdings (HEH), the sole electricity supplier to Hong Kong Island and Lamma Island. Hutchison is also a major shareholder of Husky Energy, one of Canada's largest energy and energy related companies.
- Telecommunications: HWL owns the "3" brand. It also owns 60.4% of Hutchison Telecommunications International Limited (HTIL), which provides mobile phone networks and data services in Asia, Australia and Europe. Another percent of HTIL is owned directly by Cheung Kong Holdings, the holding behind Cheung Kong group to which HWL belongs. Additionally, HWL is an official backer of the .mobi top level domain created specifically for the mobile internet and has launched the mobile portal Three.mobi under its "3" brand.
- Video Encoding and Streaming: HWL owns Vidiator who provides multi-screen video delivery solutions to operators, broadcasters and other content providers since 2002
- Phone manufacturing: In 2008 Hutchinson Whampoa established a subsidiary, INQ, to manufacture mobile phones. In 2009 the INQ1 won GSMA Awards in Barcelona.
- Branding: WHAM based in London, is Hutchison Whampoa's branding agency. Controlling the branding for Superdrug, Hutchison 3G, Watson's, ICI Paris XL and also B. the new skin care and make up range launched exclusively in Superdrug Stores throughout 2013.
Hutchison Whampoa has received criticism from charities such as the Burma Campaign UK and appear on the charity's 'dirty list' for their involvement in trade with the military junta in Burma. They state that the company's subsidiary Myanmar International Terminals Thilawa (MITT) is 'strategically positioned to facilitate and service Myanmar's international trade' and are concerned about the role foreign investment plays in 'perpetuating' the country's brutal regime.
- List of companies in Hong Kong
- Swire Group
- Jardine Matheson Group
- List of charities in the People's Republic of China
- Hutchison-Whampoa: Milestones 1828–1959
- Hutchison-Whampoa: Milestones 1960–1969
- Stephen Vines, The Other Handover, Time magazine, 6 August 2005
- Hutchison ports unit prices $5.4 billion Singapore IPO http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/03/11/us-hutchisonport-ipo-idUKTRE72A0EE20110311
- dotMobi Investors | dotMobi
- three – 3 the company
- WHAM | London. Branding Agency. Thewhamagency.com. Retrieved on 18 September 2013.
- [dead link]
- Dirty List – Campaigns – Burma Campaign UK. Burmacampaign.org.uk. Retrieved on 18 September 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hutchison Whampoa.|