Hwang (Korean surname)
|Hanja||黃 or 皇|
Hwang is a common Korean family name. Hwang is the equivalent of the Chinese surname Huang. Hwangs make up roughly 1.5% of the Korean population; the 2000 South Korean census found 644,294 in that country. The Chinese character for Hwang used most commonly literally means "yellow" or "golden". However, originally, the Chinese character for Hwang used to be "皇", which means "emperor". The latter character represents the origins of the surname. The character was later changed during the Joseon Dynasty after the ruling family, Yi or Lee, ordered the change due to their newly founded status as the monarch of the Korean peninsula.
Template:Cleanup rewrite section In the traditional Korean clan system, which is still the basis of family registry in South Korea, each clan is distinguished by its bon-gwan (본관,本貫). In general, bon-gwan originates from the progenitor's settlement. In Korea, typically, each family name has many bon-gwans. Bon-gwan's expression is progenitor's settlement plus their family name plus Ssi (씨-氏, It is last name's delimiter symbol).
The Korean Hwang surname originates from Hwang Rak (황락,黃洛). Hwang Rak was the envoy of China during the Han Dynasty. He was shipping from China to Vietnam in AD 28. But the ship had struggled against the wind and waves in the sea. In this Result, Hwang Rak had drifted the sea. Finally, He was arrived Korea during the Silla Dynasty. This place is Pyeong-Hae(평해,平海), GyeongSang-BukDo, in South Korea. He inaturalized as a Silla citizen. He also becomes a progenitor of Hwang(황) in Korea. He graves GulMi-Bong(봉,峰,peak), 423-8 BunJi, Wolsong-Ri, PyeongHae-Eub, WolJin-Kun, KyeongSang-BukDo, Korea. But, Only altar remains in current now. Hwang-Rak had three sons. These name are Gab-Go(갑고,甲古), Eul-Go(을고,乙古), Byung-Go(丙古). Gab-Go is the eldest son. He remains in Pyeong-Hae. Eul-Go the second son settles in Jang-Su. Gab-Go the third son settle in Chang-Won. Therefore, The three major Korea Hwang's Bon-Gwan Made. There are the Pyeong-Hae(평해,平海) Hwang Ssi(황씨,黃氏), the Jang-Su(장수,張水) Hwang Ssi, and the Chang-Won(창원,昌原) Hwang Ssi. In current, Fifty-Five Korea Hwang's Bon-Gwan were derived from the three major Korea Hwang's Bon-Gwan.
List of Notable People with the surname Hwang
- Hwang Hui - 14th century royal prime minister (영의정, 領議政) during the rule of Taejong and Sejong the Great of the Joseon Dynasty.
- David Henry Hwang - US American playwright (b. 1957)
- Dennis Hwang - Korean American graphic artist
- Hwang Jang Lee - South Korean martial artist and film actor
- Hwang Jini - a legendary gisaeng of the Joseon Dynasty
- Hwang Jin-Woo - South Korean auto racing driver
- Hwang Jung-Oh - South Korean judoka
- Hwang Sun-Hong - South Korean football player
- Hwang Sun-won - South Korean author and a defining figure of modern Korean literature
- Hwang Sok-yong - South Korean author
- Hwang Young-Cho - South Korean athlete
- Tim (singer) - Timothy Youngmin Hwang, a Korean American singer
- Tiffany Hwang (Hwang Mi-Young) - a Korean American singer-songwriter, member of the K-Pop group, Girls' Generation
- Lexy (singer) - a South Korean singer
- Hwang Yu-mi - badminton player
- Hwang Kwang Hee - South Korean singer of ZE:A
- Hwang Jang-yop - former North Korean politician and North Korean defector to South Korea
- Hwang Minhyun - a South Korean singer, member of NU'EST
- Hwang Chansung - South Korean singer of 2PM
- Hwang Woo-Suk - a discredited South Korean biomedical scientist.
Hwang Sun-hee-The south korean actress