|Founder||Eric Chiu, Renata Budko, Boris Belov, Boris Strongin|
|Headquarters||Mountain View, California|
HyTrust is an American company specialising in security, compliance and control software for virtualization of information technology infrastructure. The company was founded in 2009, and is based in Mountain View, California.
HyTrust was founded in 2009, partnered by VMware, Symantec, Cisco Systems, and Citrix Systems, and backed by $5.5 million funding from Trident Capital and Epic Ventures. A further $10.5 million funding was raised from Granite Ventures and Cisco Systems in 2010. In summer 2013, the company raised $18.5 million in an oversubscribed C round with investments from Intel Capital, In-Q-Tel, Carahsoft, Fortinet, and previous investors. The web site also mentions McAfee, Trend Micro, CA Technologies, RSA, and VCE.
HyTrust was founded by the company's president, Eric Chiu, vice president Renata Budko, vice president Boris Strongin, and engineer Boris Belov. Before Hytrust, both Chiu and Budko worked for Cemaphore Systems – a company specialising in disaster recovery for Microsoft Exchange. HyTrust's CEO and chairman is John De Santis – formerly vice president of Cloud Services at VMware, and chairman and CEO of TriCipher, a software security infrastructure company.
In November 2013, HyTrust acquired HighCloud Security, a cloud encryption and management software provider. This acquisition added encryption and key management to HyTrust's products.
Products and services
HyTrust's products are based on the company's patented intelligent security control system for virtualized ecosystems.
HyTrust CloudControl is a VMware vSphere-compatible virtual appliance that sits between the virtual infrastructure and its administrators. Whenever an administrative request is submitted to the infrastructure, the appliance determines whether that request complies with the organization's security policies, before permitting or denying it accordingly. By logging all requests, records are produced that can be used for regulatory compliance and auditing, troubleshooting, and forensic analysis.
The company also provides private cloud, logging, active directory, root access, two-factor authentication, VI segmentation, host hardening, multi-tenant policy enforcement, secondary approval services, encryption, and key management, and advises organizations on how to manage their virtualized and cloud computing environments.
HyTrust partnered with Intel in 2014 to create HyTrust Boundary Controls. The technology lets companies set policies to control access to cloud and virtualized IT and where data can be stored.
- VMworld 2009 Best of Show Award.
- VMworld 2009 Gold Award: Security and Virtualization.
- Red Herring 100 North America Award 2010.
- Gartner Cool Vendor 2011.
- CIO Top Ten Cloud Startups 2013.
- Virtualization Review Best of Breed for Virtualization Security 2013.
- NetEvents Cloud Innovation Award 2014 for Best Cloud Security Solution
- Ben DiPietro (20 Dec 2013). "How To Prepare for a Target-Type Data Breach". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 13 Apr 2014.
- "Company Overview of HyTrust, Inc.". Bloomberg Business Week. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Leena Rao (February 24, 2010). "HyTrust Raises $10.5 Million To Help Companies Virtualize Systems". Techcrunch. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Brandan Blevins (13 Mar 2014). "Consumers: Companies don't take data privacy and security seriously". Search Security. Retrieved 13 Apr 2014.
- Anthony Ha (April 6, 2009). "Virtualization startup HyTrust launches with $5M backing". Venture Beat. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Timothy Prickett Morgan (August 27, 2012). "HyTrust goes ballistic with virty compliance appliance". The Register. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Robert J. Mullins (August 29, 2012). "HyTrust Adds 'Secondary Approval' Security to Protect Virtual Environments". Eweek. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Robert Westervelt (29 Jan 2014). "The 20 Coolest Cloud Security Vendors Of The 2014 Cloud 100". CRN. Retrieved 13 Apr 2014.
- Robert Westervelt (7 Nov 2013). "HyTrust Acquires HighCloud For Cloud Encryption". CRN. Retrieved 13 Apr 2014.
- Jeff Vance (7 Nov 2013). "Cloud Security Startup Acquires Cloud Encryption Startup". Startup 50. Retrieved 13 Apr 2014.
- Mike Lennon (7 Nov 2013). "HyTrust Acquires Encryption and Key Management Firm HighCloud Security". Security Week. Retrieved 13 Apr 2014.
- Rick Holland; David Bartoletti; John Kindervag; Stephanie Balaouras; Kelley Mak (November 13, 2013). "Quick Take: hyTrust acquires highcloud To strengthen its cloud Management and security". Forrester Research.
- "INTELLIGENT SECURITY CONTROL SYSTEM FOR VIRTUALIZED ECOSYSTEMS". USPTO. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Peter Stephenson (March 1, 2010). "HyTrust". SC Magazine. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Tozzi, Christopher (19 August 2014). "HyTrust, Intel Partner to Add Physical Data Security to Cloud". The VAR Guy. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- Moore-Colyer, Roland (21 August 2014). "Cloud data security strife receives a silver bullet from HyTrust and Intel". V3. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- "VMworld 2009 - Best of Show Winner Hytrust". YouTube. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "HyTrust Awarded Overall Best of Show and Gold Award in Security and Virtualization Category in "Best of VMworld 2009" Awards". DABBC. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "HyTrust Wins Coveted Red Herring 100 North America Award". Business Wire. June 29, 2010. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "COOL VENDORS 2011". Gartner. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Winners of the NetEvents Cloud Innovation Awards 2014". NetEvents. Retrieved 17 April 2014.