|Hyacinthoides × massartiana|
Heist. ex P. C. Fabricius
Hyacinthoides is classified in the subfamily Scilloideae (now part of the family Asparagaceae, but formerly treated as a separate family, called Hyacinthaceae), alongside genera such as Scilla, Chionodoxa and Ornithogalum. Hyacinthoides is differentiated from these other genera by the presence of two bracts at the base of each flower, rather than one bract per flower or no bracts in the other genera.
According to the World Checklist of Selected Plant Families as of July 2012[update], the genus contains 11 species and one interspecific hybrid. The majority of species are distributed around the Mediterranean Basin, with only one species, Hyacinthoides non-scripta, occurring further north in north-western Europe. The species belong, according to analysis using molecular phylogenetics, to three species groups.
- non-scripta–hispanica group
- Hyacinthoides cedretorum (Pomel) Dobignard – Morocco to north Algeria
- Hyacinthoides hispanica (Mill.) Rothm. (Spanish bluebell) – Portugal to west and south Spain
- Hyacinthoides non-scripta (L.) Chouard ex Rothm. (common bluebell) – western Europe to northern Portugal
- Hyacinthoides paivae S.Ortiz & Rodr.Oubiña – north-west Spain to north-west Portugal
- Hyacinthoides × massartiana Geerinck – hybrid between H. hispanica and H. non-scripta, occurs in north-west Spain and elsewhere in Europe, including Great Britain
- mauritanica group
- Hyacinthoides flahaultiana (Emb.) Dobignard – south-west Morocco
- Hyacinthoides mauritanica (Schousb.) Speta – south-west Portugal, north Morocco
- Hyacinthoides reverchonii (Degen & Hervier) Speta – Spain (Sierra de Cazorla)
- italica group
- Hyacinthoides aristidis (Coss.) Rothm. – Algeria to Tunisia
- Hyacinthoides ciliolata (Pomel) Rumsey – north-east Tunisia
- Hyacinthoides italica (L.) Rothm. (Italian bluebell) – south-east France to north-west Italy
- Hyacinthoides lingulata (Poir.) Rothm. – north-west Africa
- Michael Grundmann, Fred J. Rumsey, Stephen W. Ansell, Stephen J. Russell, Sarah C. Darwin, Johannes C. Vogel, Mark Spencer, Jane Squirrell, Peter M. Hollingsworth, Santiago Ortiz & Harald Schneider (2010). "Phylogeny and taxonomy of the bluebell genus Hyacinthoides, Asparagaceae [Hyacinthaceae]". Taxon 59 (1): 68–82.
- P. F. Stevens (2001 onwards). "Angiosperm Phylogeny Website: Asparagales: Scilloideae". Check date values in:
- Clive A. Stace (2010). "Asparagaceae – asparagus family". New Flora of the British Isles (3rd ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. pp. 914–923. ISBN 978-0-521-70772-5.
- "Search for "Hyacinthoides"". World Checklist of Selected Plant Families. The Board of Trustees of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 2011. Retrieved July 5, 2011.
- Media related to Hyacinthoides at Wikimedia Commons