- "Dance fly" and "dance flies" redirect here. This term is also used for some Empididae.
Hybotidae, the typical dance flies are a family of true flies. They belong to the superfamily Empidoidea and were formerly included in the Empididae as a subfamily.
Some, such as Tachydromia, are predators that run around on the bark of trees in complex pattern, hence the common name. Tachydromia species are only about three millimeters long.
The Hybotidae clearly form a lineage quite distinct from the Empididae. Among the Empidoidea, they represent a lineage more basal than the main radiation of Empididae and Dolichopodidae, though they are not as ancient as the genera placed in the Atelestidae.
By and large, the Hybotidae are monophyletic. Among its subfamilies, the Hybotinae and Tachydromiinae certainly represent clades. The status of the Ocydromiinae as a natural group is less clear, in particular whether the Trichininae should be included as tribe Trichinini or even in the Bicellariini or Oedaleini, or whether they are more distinct and warrant recognition as a separate subfamily.
The subfamilies with their tribes and selected genera are:
Hybotinae Meigen, 1820
- Genus Acarterus Loew, 1858
- Genus Afrohybos Smith, 1967
- Genus Ceratohybos Bezzi
- Genus Chillcottomyia Saigusa, 1986
- Genus Euhybus Coquillett, 1895
- Genus Hybos Meigen, 1803
- Genus Lactistomyia Melander, 1902
- Genus Lamachella Melander, 1928
- Genus Neohybos Ale-Rocha & Carvalho, 2003
- Genus Parahybos Kertész, 1899
- Genus Smithybos Ale-Rocha, 2000
- Genus Stenoproctus Loew, 1858
- Genus Syndyas Loew, 1857
- Genus Syneches Walker, 1852
Trichininae (often included in Ocydromiinae)
- Tribe Symballophthalmini Bradley
, Sinclair & Cumming, 2006
- Tribe Drapetini Collin, 1961
- Genus Allodromia
- Genus Atodrapetis Plant, 1997
- Genus Austrodrapetis
- Genus Austrodromia Collin, 1961
- Genus Chaetodromia
- Genus Chersodromia Haliday in Walker, 1851
- Genus Crossopalpus Bigot, 1857
- Genus Drapetis Meigen, 1822
- Genus Dusmetina
- Genus Elaphropeza Macquart, 1827
- Genus Isodrapetis Collin, 1961
- Genus Megagrapha Melander, 1928
- Genus Micrempis Melander, 1928
- Genus Nanodromia
- Genus Ngaheremyia Plant & Didham, 2006
- Genus Pontodromia
- Genus Sinodrapetis
- Genus Stilpon Loew, 1859
- Tribe Tachydromiini
with prey (video, 2m 23s)
"Hybotidae". Integrated Taxonomic Information System. Retrieved June 21, 2008.
- Chvála, M. (1975): The Tachydromiinae (Dipt. Empididae) of Fennoscandia and Denmark. Fauna Entomologica Scandinavica 3: 1–338.
- Chvála, M. (1983): The Empidoidea (Diptera) of Fennoscandia and Denmark. II. General Part. The families Hybotidae, Atelestidae and Microphoridae. Fauna Entomologica Scandinavica 12: 1–279.
- Kahanpää, Jere (ed.) (2007): Draft Catalogue of Finnish Flies (Diptera: Brachycera) - Hybotidae. Version of 2008-JUL-23. Retrieved 2008-JUL-30.
- Moulton, J.K. & Wiegmann, B.M. (2007): The phylogenetic relationships of flies in the superfamily Empidoidea (Insecta: Diptera). Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 43(3): 701-713. doi:10.1016/j.ympev.2007.02.029 (HTML abstract)
- Sinclair, B.J. & Cumming, J.M. (2006): The morphology, higher-level phylogeny and classification of the Empidoidea (Diptera). Zootaxa 1180: 1-172. PDF fulltext