Hyde County, South Dakota
|Hyde County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
South Dakota's location in the U.S.
|• Total||867 sq mi (2,244 km2)|
|• Land||861 sq mi (2,230 km2)|
|• Water||6 sq mi (15 km2), 0.65%|
|• Density||1/sq mi (<1/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
- Faulk County, South Dakota - north
- Hand County, South Dakota - east
- Buffalo County, South Dakota - south
- Lyman County, South Dakota - southwest
- Hughes County, South Dakota - southwest
- Sully County, South Dakota - west
- Potter County, South Dakota - northwest
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,671 people, 679 households, and 456 families residing in the county. The population density was 2 people per square mile (1/km²). There were 769 housing units at an average density of 1 per square mile (0/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 91.08% White, 0.12% Black or African American, 7.96% Native American, 0.12% Pacific Islander, 0.12% from other races, and 0.60% from two or more races. 0.48% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 679 households out of which 29.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.70% were married couples living together, 6.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.80% were non-families. 30.30% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.10% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.41 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the county, the population was spread out with 25.60% under the age of 18, 5.80% from 18 to 24, 23.50% from 25 to 44, 22.70% from 45 to 64, and 22.30% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 102.10 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.00 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $31,103, and the median income for a family was $40,700. Males had a median income of $24,728 versus $18,833 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,356. About 7.80% of families and 12.30% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.40% of those under age 18 and 13.70% of those age 65 or over.
Cities and towns
The county is divided into many townships: including: Franklin, Union, Banner, Spring Lake, Illinois, Eden, Douglas, Lincoln, Valley, Loomis, Holabird, Highmore, Bramhall and William Hamilton; and three areas of unorganized territory: Central Hyde, Crow Creek, and North Hyde.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions: South Dakota". Population Census. 2010 United States Census. 2011-07-18. Retrieved 2011-07-26.
||Potter County||Faulk County|
|Sully County||Hand County|
|Hughes County and Lyman County||Buffalo County|