Hyderabad City Police
|Hyderabad City Police|
|Logo of the Hyderabad City Police.|
|Motto||Freedom from Fear Forever|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Operations jurisdiction*||City of Hyderabad in the state of Telangana, India|
|Legal jurisdiction||Hyderabad District|
|Agency executive||Mahender Reddy, Commissioner|
|* Divisional agency: Division of the country, over which the agency has usual operational jurisdiction.|
The Hyderabad City Police (Telugu: హైదరాబాద్ నగర పోలీస్),is the local law enforcement agency for the city of Hyderabad, Telangana and is headed by the city police commissioner or the Kotwal. According to Bharat Verma, publisher, Rakshak - The Protector, the present DGP of Telangana Police - Mr Anurag Sharma, I.P.S., has brought in a positive perception of the police in people’s minds with his charming way of functioning. The city police traces its origins to 1847 under Hyderabad State.
The Nizam of Hyderabad used to appoint the Commissioners of Police who were officers of the Hyderabad Civil Service and they used to function during his pleasure. They were answerable to the Nizam directly on various matters of policing in Hyderabad city. However as far as administrative matters were concerned the Commissioner of Police used to correspond with the Home Department directly. The commissioner of Police was popularly called as “KOTWAL” and was responsible for maintenance of law and order, prevention and detection of crime etc.
Due to rapid increase in population, there has been a steady increase in crime. In view of the above in 1981 the City Police was re-organised, vide G.O.Ms.No.341, Home (Pol.D) Department, dated: 1981-05-30. The following structure was instituted:
- The disciplinary and administrative control of the force is held by the Commissioner of Police, having powers and functions of Additional District Magistrate.
- The city was divided into 4 zones : Hyderabad South, Hyderabad East, Hyderabad west & Hyderabad North, the 4 zones were again divided into 12 divisions. Each Zone is under the in charge of a Deputy Commissioner of Police (D.C.P.) of the rank of Superintendent Of Police for maintenance of Law and Order, Criminal Investigation and keeping up the morale of the force.
- Each Division is under the care of an Assistant Commissioner of Police(ACP) of the rank of Deputy Superintendent Of Police, who works under the control of DCP. He is responsible for prevention and detection of crimes, maintenance of L&O and discipline of the force.
- Each Police station is under the care of Inspector of Police who is the Station House Officer(S.H.O) and performs all the duties and exercises all the powers of the S.H.O.
- The city crimes station was renamed as “Detective Department” which works under the D.C.P.,assisted by ACPs and Inspectors.
- In 1992, the Government of Andhra Pradesh sanctioned 3 Joint Commissioner of Police posts in the rank of Deputy Inspector General (D.I.G.) to assist the Commissioner of Police for effective functioning and better administration of City Police each in-charge of Co-ordination, Crimes and Security.
- One Sub-Inspector of Police was to be placed in charge of Law and Order duties and another for Crime duties for each Police Station. A Divisional Detective inspector for each Division was provided for. In order to achieve this functional division it was proposed in the scheme to increases the number of posts of Sub-Inspectors and Head Constables and decrease the number of posts of Police Constables.
Currently the Hyderabad City Police has 5 Zones.
- Central Zone, V. B. Kamalasan Reddy
- North Zone, Ch. Srikanthsss
- South Zone,Sri V. Satyanarayana, IPS
- East Zone, R.Rajya Lakshmi, IPS
- West Zone,TARUN JOSHI, IPS
9 IPS officers transferred
Cyberabad Metropolitan Police
There is a special branch in Cyberabad Known as Cyberabad Metropolitan Police which control and maintain cases and provide security for IT companies and traditional and historical bazaars are located in and around the city. 
Hyderabad Police has launched facebook pages for the police stations in Hyderabad on 16-Dec-2014. The pages can be used by the general public to report grievances. 
- Intelligence Unit
- Commando Force
- Security Battalion
|S. NO||Name||Date of Assumption of charge|
|1.||Sri. Md. Vazir Jamadar||8 Dec 1847|
|2.||Sri. Fazzuddin Khan||5 Oct 1851|
|3.||Sri. Mohammed Syeed Hussaini||5 Jan 1853|
|4.||Sri. Nawab Ghalib –Ud-Dawlah||10 Nov 1853|
|5.||Sri. Grand Son of Zafar-Ud-Dawlah||9 May 1855|
|6.||Sri. Nawab Zourawar Jung||6 June 1873|
|7.||Sri. Inayat Hussain Khan||23 Apr 1874|
|8.||Sri. Nawab Akber –Ul-Mulk||5 May 1884|
|9.||Sri. Vazir Ali Nawab (Sulthan Yawar Jung)||8 Apr 1905|
|10.||Sri. Mohammed Abdul Kareem Lal Khan||25 Apr 1912|
|11.||Sri. Mir Mubarak Ali Khan||17 Sept 1912|
|12.||Sri. Nawab Emad Jung – II||8 Nov 1912|
|13.||Sri. Raja Bahadur Venkat Rama Reddy||23 Mar 1920|
|14.||Sri. Nawab Rahmat Yar Jung Bahadur||1 July 1934|
|15.||Sri. Nawab Deen Yar Jung Bahadur||6 June 1945|
|16.||Sri. Rusthum Ji Shapur Ji.||1 Aug 1947|
|17.||Sri. S.N. Reddy M.A,||21 Mar 1949|
|18.||Sri. Shiv Kumar Lal I.P.S.,||1 Sept 1951|
|19.||Sri. A. Sundaram Pillai I.P.S.,||1 July 1953|
|20.||Sri. B.L.Khadar I.P.S.,||15 May 1954|
|21.||Sri. C.Ranga Swamy Iyengar I.P.S.,||26 Sept 1954 Again 14 July 1962|
|22||Sri. S. Vijaya Rangam I.P.S.,||19 May 1957|
|23||Sri. B.N. Kalyan Rao I.P.S.,||14 May 1959 Again 22 May 1967|
|24||Sri. S.P. Satur I.P.S.,||03- Apr 1961 Again 19 Feb 1963.|
|25||Sri. Prahlad Singh I.P.S.,||1 Sept 1964|
|26||Sri. Abdus Salam Khan I.P.S.,||1 Feb 1970|
|27||Sri. P.V.G.Krishnama Charyulu I.P.S.,||14 July 1973 Again 11 June 1976|
|28||Sri. K.N.Sreenivasan I.P.S.,||15 Dec 1975 Again 9 July 1976|
|29||Sri. M.A. Shafiullah Khan I.P.S.,||23 Aug 1976|
|30||Sri. Muni Swamy I.P.S.,||28 Dec 1977|
|31||Sri. P.V. Pavithran I.P.S.,||22 Apr 1978|
|32||Sri. C.G. Saldanha I.P.S.,||2 May 1981|
|33||Sri. P.Ponnaiya I.P.S.,||27 Aug 1981|
|34||Sri. S. Chandra Shekaran I.P.S.,||10 Nov 1982|
|35||Sri. Vijaya Rama Rao I.P.S.,||14 Apr 1983 Again 7 Apr 1989|
|36||Sri. R.Prabhakar Rao I.P.S.,||28 Aug 1984|
|37||Sri. T.Surya Narayan Rao I.P.S.,||05 Mar 1986|
|38||Sri. V.Apparao I.P.S.,||15 Feb 1989 Again 25 Dec 1994|
|39||Sri. I. Pullanna I.P.S.,||5 May 1990|
|40||Sri. S.V.Narasimhulu I.P.S., (Incharge C.P.(Addl.C.P.)||6 July 1990|
|41||Sri. G.Gurunath Rao I.P.S.,||16 Aug 1990|
|42||Sri. M.V.Bhaskara Rao I.P.S.,||29 Nov 1990|
|43||Sri. H.J.Dora I.P.S.,||16 Apr 1993|
|44||Sri. C.Rama Swamy I.P.S.,||30 Jun 1996|
|45||Sri. R.P. Singh||30 June 1997 Again 13 Oct 2003|
|46||Sri. S.R.Sukumara||12 Sept 1998|
|47||Sri. P.Ramulu I.P.S.,||15 Dec 2000|
|48||Sri. M.V.Krishna Rao||25 Feb 2002|
|49||Sri. V.Dinesh Reddy||1 Dec 2004|
|50||Sri. A.K. Mohanty||30 Sept 2005|
|51||Sri. Balwinder Singh||12 Jan 2007|
|52||Sri. B.Prasada Rao||21 Jan 2008|
|52||Sri. A K Khan||19 Jan 2010|
|53||Sri. Anurag Sharma||20 May 2012|
|Sri. Sadiq (Only for One day)||15 October 2014|
|54||Sri. M Mahender Reddy||02 June 2014|
- "About Us". Hyderabad City Police. Retrieved 2009-01-24.
- Cyberabad Metropolitan Police Official Website