Hydrometeorological Centre of Russia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014)|
|Agency executive||Roman Wilfand|
|Parent agency||Federal Service for Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring|
|Website||www.meteoinfo.ru (English) (Russian)|
The Hydrometeorological Centre of Russia (Russian: Гидрометцентр России, Gidrometcentr Rossii) is the national meteorological service in Russia, part of the Federal Service for Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring.
It was founded in 1921 as the Meteorological Service of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic. In 1929 it joined the Hydrometeorological Centre of the USSR. In accordance with Government Decree on the establishment of a single hydro-meteorological service of January 1, 1930 was organized by the Central Weather Bureau, converted in 1936 into the Central Weather Institute (since 1943 - Central Institute of Forecasting). In 1965, the Central Institute of forecasts and the Joint Centre of the Academy of Sciences and the Main Directorate of Hydrometeorological Service were merged into one institution: Hydrometeorological Research Center of the USSR.
From 1992 it is called Hydrometeorological Centre of Russia. An important event, largely determined the fate of research at the Hydrometeorological Center of Russia, was giving it the Government Decree№ 1167 of October 14, 1994 the status of the State Scientific Center of Russian Federation. In January 2007, by decision of the Government of Russia, this status has been saved.
Duties and functions
In the system of the World Weather Watch of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) Hydrometeorological Centre of Russia provides the fulfillment of international obligations of the Russian Federation on the international exchange of information and data forecasting meteorological observations, and functions as:
- World Meteorological Centre (WMC-Moscow);
- Regional Specialized Meteorological Centre in the European region;
- National Centre for weather forecasts.
The main tasks of Russian Hydrometeorological Center are:
- Obtaining new knowledge about the processes of weather in the system "atmosphere-ocean-land".
- Operational support of the country, state and economic structures of hydro-meteorological information, including warnings of adverse weather and dangerous phenomena.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hydrometeorological Centre of Russia.|
- Hydrometeorological Centre of Russia (English) (Russian)
- Federal Service for Hydrometeorology and Environmental Monitoring (English) (Russian)